Tell us what you are building!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

O2flyMore

I'm finally getting around to building a KR-2 composite airplane. Was working on one in 1994, but a divorce forced the sale of that VW powered 2-place composite craft. Now, I have a similar one, plus a new wife who actually likes to fly. We have a 172A, which is a great plane for we empty nesters. But, I want a more personal, more economical and faster airplane, that I can legally tinker with.
There is our KRnet.org that I subscribe to, but I joined this group to get some additional influence from other builders.

Turd Ferguson

HBA Supporter
I like KR's so I'll follow along. Don't have one but I have worked on a lot of them and went to the annual KR gathering one year. Might be one of the best fly-ins I've ever been too. Next yr will be the 50th KR gathering, quite a following!

O2flyMore

Yep, it's the most unknown fast & cheap homebuilt out there (The ORIGINAL fiberglass plans-built kit). We just finished the 2021 gathering in Missouri; one KR attending had won a bronze Lindy the last time it was at Oshkosh. Mine has an O-200 and if I can just keep it light, will cruise easily at 150 mph.
That 50th anniversary Gathering will be next year in Mt Vernon IL - running along with the Sport Expo at the same time, so you'll be able to see us and the slower ones, too.

eldbs

I'm a friend of Philb and renovating a minicab. Little video about the project here:
Also got a video about Phil's KR2 test flight too:

imamac96

Hi all,

I just realized this thread exists. I'm building a Thatcher CX4. The build log is here: Connor's Thatcher CX4 Project
I have the wings mostly done. I bought a salvaged Sonex (935EK), and I'm trying to use as many of the parts from it as possible. Unfortunately, the engine is beyond economical repair. I'd like to consider using the AeroMomentum 1.0, so I'm on the mailing list with Mark, but I have a lot of work to do to make sure everything works out. It looks great on paper, and I can't wait to talk to him in real life and get a look at a real example. The CX4 plans are acceptable for the wing and empennage. They're a bit lacking for the fuselage structure.

On the side, I'm keeping track of the changes I think should be made as I learn the hard way. I'd like to build a second plane after this one. Changes would include a Riblett GA30A-415 airfoil, CNCed tooling, etc. I have done some initial sizing. The reserved website for this is Warbler Aircraft, but it will be a long time before any of that gets anywhere. It's not a CX4, but it's not an entirely new design since it's heavily based on what I'm learning while building the CX4. It also serves to somewhat verify some of the CX4's structure (for my own peace of mind) since I'm drawing everything in SolidWorks.

Since I'm currently in RI for work for the next few months, I am not actively working on the CX4, which is back in TX. Instead, I'm crunching numbers for the Warbler and drawing in SW when I have the time.

Thank you so much to all of you who have already been so incredibly helpful.

-Connor

Doran Jaffas

Yep, it's the most unknown fast & cheap homebuilt out there (The ORIGINAL fiberglass plans-built kit). We just finished the 2021 gathering in Missouri; one KR attending had won a bronze Lindy the last time it was at Oshkosh. Mine has an O-200 and if I can just keep it light, will cruise easily at 150 mph.
That 50th anniversary Gathering will be next year in Mt Vernon IL - running along with the Sport Expo at the same time, so you'll be able to see us and the slower ones, too.

I have a Witman Tailwind but I'd like to fly in and see the show. What is the identifier?

Thanks.
Doran Jaffas

Dalmo

Hi all,

Feeling a bit "left behind", as I have not actually received my 'kit' yet, but I will soon (hopefully) have a Merlin PSA delivered to me downunder, which I intend to spend every spare moment thereafter building to completion. The attached is my little baby bird nearing the end of it's assembly line in the Czech Republic.My Merlin PSA.jpgMerlin PSA Cowling.JPG

Attachments

Ant45100

Hi all,

Feeling a bit "left behind", as I have not actually received my 'kit' yet, but I will soon (hopefully) have a Merlin PSA delivered to me downunder, which I intend to spend every spare moment thereafter building to completion. The attached is my little baby bird nearing the end of it's assembly line in the Czech Republic.View attachment 116633View attachment 116634
Funny enough that was what I’ve been considering for my first project. Keep us updated man, I’m very curious as to how quick the kit really is to build!
Right now it’s between that, the Sonex, and the OneX for what I am considering here.

Hello People of knowledge:
My name is Laverne Attfield. I'm from Alberta, Canada.
I own a 172H tail dragger conversion and am presently building a Model "A" Avid flyer.
I bought the aircraft from a neighbor for cheap and have all the covering removed.
One wing needs a lot of TLC. Every rib needs to be replaced and there is some frame damage which needs to be replaced.
I can't decide on which engine I'm going with yet but hoping for a 4 stroke thats around 125lbs or less.
So far I'm looking at the 80hp Rotax. Does anyone have any info on the 60HP Franklin?