Teknosmurf's Davis DA2

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

teknosmurf

The wheel pants may have cost 1or 2mph, but nothing significant.

A buddy of mine had a high pitch 63" Rhem prop that he just gave me. It is far from ideal, but performs at least as well as the IVO, so for the price, I won't complain :)

nerobro

Log Member
it's nice to see one flying and in good shape. What are you critiques of the design? I'm seriously considering building one. How's the stall, best rate of climb? what motor is in yours, and what GPH are you getting?

teknosmurf

What are you critiques of the design?
Leon Davis was an old machist, who thought that airplanes should be able to be built in an average garage with average tools. Everything in the design, including the v-tail combiner is amazingly simple. A couple of things people have done were to replace the front donuts with a motorcycle spring to soften the nose wheel jaring when going over pavement cracks, but other than that, it's pretty solid and very easy to maintain. All Davis's exhibit a main wheel shimmy at speed which amounts to a fast taxi...but the answer is to simply slow down.

How's the stall,
The stall is somewhat abrupt, and mine almost always (coordinated or not) drop off the right wing. That said, and it also does a very good job of telling me when it is about to stall, once you get to know it.

best rate of climb?
I routinely get 500 to 600fpm.

what motor is in yours, and what GPH are you getting?
Mine has an O-200, and my fuel flow meter shows about 4.8gph when I have it leaned out correctly. I plan on about 5 gallons per hour.

Lucrum

Log Member
Anyone happen to have photos and or drawings of the internal V tail elevon structure and or control mixer?

Lucrum

Log Member
Thanks guys. I happened to notice a DA-2 parked at KSUA recently. The all flying V tail surfaces are very similar to something I'm doing with my project and I wanted to see how my ideas compared to someone that actually knew what they're doing.

Turd Ferguson

Does anyone know if Teknosmurf sold his DA-2?

A DA-2 was the first homebuilt airplane I flew. Really impressed me. The guy that owned the one I flew "four-cornered" the contiguous US with it so I'm thinking it's a respectable cross-country airplane.