tedium Part 3: the "stabilator"

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Starflight

Saskatchewan..."GO RIDERS"(pride)where's my banjo?
Decided to go "Van's" route, and built the all-moving stabilizer first. AND the extra forty two 3 inch corner blocks that the twelve 1/8 birch ply ribs will require. The latter are now cut out to symmetrical form and only require sanding edges and holes drilled to lighten. Have not planned out the structure of the anti-servo tab yet. Final cutting of ribs from their blanks was accomplished with the part in my lap, bridged across one knee with one hand stabilizing and the other holding an 18 tooth per inch small wave hack saw blade. You may now burst out laughing hysterically and roll on floor if necessary. Wooden planes are most definitely "hand built".

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
No laughing here, my friend! Wooden aircraft are not for builders that obsess over parts count.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Tedium? This is a bad sign.

We emphasize this around here quite a bit:
  • Building is a journey. You have to love the journey or there is little point to the exercise. Building is a huge task, so loving the process is really important.
  • Select a design with a primary material set that you love working in. If you find building tedious in a material that makes up much of the airplane, your probability of ever flying can become small indeed.
I strongly suggest re-evaluating your choice of design from the perspective of primary materials.

Billski

TFF

I think you will find that all designs have the same amount of parts. Scratch built or kit. . Billski knows this; A composite fuselage might look like it is just a couple of shells but every nook and cranny is something important. You might be trying to make one shell but it is hundreds of little details that are all connected and have to come together in one shot. Metal plane has lots of parts. Some like to cut wood parts and some like to cut metal, some fiberglass. It’s all a lot of work.

Starflight

Please do not interpret my lame attempts at humor as frustration or impatience. Minus 20 below weather for the last 2 months, was the 'goad' I needed to make an honest start on a homebuilt that should have been done back in the late 70's when I was 25yo and attending a rib stitch session for a VP-2 in Winnipeg, Canada. I appreciate all of the advise you guys can muster, because of my lack of formal education in engineering. A lot of little changes in the design, which I am hoping will not result in BIG changes in the air. Target finish: late summer of 2021 +/- Thanks again!

Starflight

Mathew, I am building a highly modified VP-2. Can not call it by that name because the plan set was obtained outside of Evan's authorization. The plans are being used as a guide to proper aircraft construction. The final product will 'vaguely' resemble the original, but with many significant/obvious differences. Two of these changes will be immediately noticeable; namely increased wing span and a different airfoil section (higher Cl/Cd). Just finished cutting out the seat panel...the extra 3 inches in width is quite noticeable. Eighteen and one-half inches per bum versus 17. :)

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Thanks, Starflight. I am a VP-2 fan and I hope to build one myself, though I was able to track down an original plans set (from Canada, as it happens, a gentleman in Montreal) so I plan to use the original name and designation. I'd love to learn more and see some pics of your project.

Starflight

Not much to show at the present. Stabilator ribs have been completed...just cut all the rectangle holes for the 3/4 " X 3" Douglas fir spar board. One plank with 1/8" X 3" X 30" birch ply doubler adding strength to the middle 1/3 (both sides) of the 90" (mod.) spar. For direct airfoil performance comparisons of the NACA 0015 to the Selig 8035, you can see their charts on "airfoiltools.com" Will be back in a short while with some photos and the seat panel complete with 1/4 circle cut outs.