Taylorcraft lookalike

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by EricAos, Feb 9, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1

EricAos

EricAos

EricAos

I really want an Experimental Taylorcraft. I have seen the Swick-T website, and that is the plane I want. 1320 lb max, 138 mph max, 38 mph stall. Perfect as an Experimental LSA, but... I want to build from plans. Is there a set or plans out there for something really similar to a T-craft?
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. Feb 9, 2010 #2

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

3. Feb 10, 2010 #3

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

The Wag-A-Bond, I believe, is based on the Piper Vagabond, which had similar power but much shorter wings. Didn't float like the old T-Cart, and was shorter.

Dan

4. Feb 10, 2010 #4

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

The Swick is a clipwing conversion, isn't it? If so it probably wouldn't float like the original version.

You might want to contact the Taylorcraft Foundation. Some good people there, and they have lots of data. I don't know if drawings can be had but if they can, they would know.

I thought about doing the clipwing conversion when I had a T-Craft but I didn't like the idea of losing the wonderful low speed handling.

-Dana

Sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness than get permission.

5. Feb 10, 2010 #5

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Light Miniature Aircraft I am not sure how to get the info out of this but I believe they sell plans to build a Tcraft.

6. Feb 10, 2010 #6

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

LMA does indeed sell plans for a 100% scale wood and fabric replica of the T-Craft with increased cabin width. There is a very active Yahoo group of builders of the LMA plans offered, most are focuused on the wood and fabric Cub. Plans cost are on par with others while information requests from the company can sometimes be a bit difficult. You will get what you order but builder support is largely found with the LMA Yahoo group.

7. Feb 10, 2010 #7

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I used to fly Margaret Richie's clipped wing T-craft that she won the 1966 National Aerobatics Championship with. It didn't float as much as a stock T-cart (and had a heavier engine), but it flew well and had lots of elbow room (single seat in the center).

Bruce :)

8. Feb 10, 2010 #8

Dana

Dana

Dana

Sounds like Duane Cole's clipwing, also a single seater. A two seat T-Cart with two on board is "cozy" to say the least... which depending on your passenger can be a good thing or a bad thing...

I had the pleasure of talking T-Crafts with Duane some year ago when I flew with my girlfriend into an airshow where he was performing. I T-Craft had a very similar paint job to his but otherwise a bone stok 1941 Deluxe (his was a 1939). Great icebreaker, and he was a nice guy.

That day I also had a "chat" with an FAA inspector as I landed a few minutes after the field was closed for the show, but that's another story...

I believe the LMA replica is all wood. Nothing in common with a real T-Craft, really, except for the lines.

-Dana

Friends help you move. *Real* friends help you move bodies.

9. Feb 10, 2010 #9

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

10. Feb 10, 2010 #10

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Did you explain to him that you had entered the pattern a half hour before the closure and it just took a little longer to get on the ground compared to those speedy Cessna 150's? :gig:

11. Feb 10, 2010 #11

Dana

Dana

Dana

Ah yes, the blistering speed of a C-150!:whistle:

Actually the T-Craft isn't that much slower than a 150; mine cruised at 95 with the windows closed (80 with them open). It's no Cub!

-Dana

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side,
    and it binds the universe together.

12. Feb 10, 2010 #12

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

A friend of mine has a Swick-T. I've flown it. It's a nice flying plane. Don't think it will qualify as an LSA with the 150 Lyc they normally put on them due to weight and speed. If you used a lower HP and lighter engine it probably would and it would still be a good flyer; though, not quite as capable.

13. Feb 10, 2010 #13

mcjon77

mcjon77

mcjon77

According to their website, Swick-T sells plans, as well. Click the icon on their website that says "The Company".

14. Feb 11, 2010 #14

EricAos

EricAos

EricAos

LMA's full size T-craft is wood (not too excited about that). They have a 75% T-craft that is metal (I can't picture sitting side by side in that with anyone).
    I've been talking to George at Swick-T. There are some mistakes on ther web site. The 'plans' are actually for the Swick wing only, and are now $285.

I'm still undecided about the wing.
    Extra Speed +
    Aerobatic (not necessary)
    Increased Stall Speed -
    Less floating ??? I can remember not being able to land once because the wind changed direction.. darned thing just wouldn't quit flying. LOL

I think the best bet so far is buy the Swick wing plans, buy the plans for the L2 (tandem model) from the Taylorcraft group. Then find a local B model and copy the 'fuse. Using the L2 plans to fill in the details.
    Sound reasonable?

15. Feb 11, 2010 #15

EricAos

EricAos

EricAos

LMA's full size T-craft is wood (not too excited about that). They have a 75% T-craft that is metal (I can't picture sitting side by side in that with anyone).
    I've been talking to George at Swick-T. There are some mistakes on ther web site. The 'plans' are actually for the Swick wing only, and are now $285.

I'm still undecided about the wing.
    Extra Speed +
    Aerobatic (not necessary)
    Increased Stall Speed -
    Less floating ??? I can remember not being able to land once because the wind changed direction.. darned thing just wouldn't quit flying. LOL

I think the best bet so far is buy the Swick wing plans, buy the plans for the L2 (tandem model) from the Taylorcraft group. Then find a local B model and copy the 'fuse. Using the L2 plans to fill in the details.
    Sound reasonable?

16. Feb 11, 2010 #16

Dana

Dana

Dana

Does anybody sell prewelded T-Craft fuselages like they do for Cubs? If so, you could buy one of those and build the wings and other stuff. Or start with a fuselage from a wreck?

-Dana

The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to save all the parts.

17. Feb 11, 2010 #17

EricAos

EricAos

EricAos

Swick-T does sell fuselages, but the price was more than I'm willing to pay. I'm sure it's worth it, but if I were going to go that route I'd consider just finding a flyable T on barnstormers, and get it in the air right away.

If I started with a certified fuse' I didn't think I could go experimental.

Thanks for all the help guys. If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to them.

18. Feb 11, 2010 #18

mcjon77

mcjon77

mcjon77

The idea of finding a wrecked Tcraft fuselage and using it as a template is a good one, and has been done several times before. I am surpised that blueprints for the Tcraft are not more readily available, as they are with the rag and tube piper models.

19. Feb 11, 2010 #19

Dana

Dana

Dana

I would think that if you used a certified fuselage frame and built everything else you could make a good argument for meeting the 51% rule.

-Dana

If vegetarians eat vegetables,..beware of humanitarians!

20. Feb 11, 2010 #20

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

A similar situation exists with the Breezy which uses wings and tail surfaces from a certified aircraft.