• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Taylorcraft BC-12D-85

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byGeorge

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum.

Doing something else entirely, just enjoying my day off flying around. I met someone who put me in touch with an A&P IA who has a 1948 Taylorcraft BC-12D-85 with a fresh annual and fabric test he is willing to part with on terms that I could swing. I called the number I was given and he is based at an airfield about 90 minutes away and has sent me a dozen pictures of the aircraft and of all the entries of the logbook which goes back to 2002 when a total restoration was performed by a previous owner with at least three degrees of separation.

The logbook confirms that he has performed the last five annual inspections and checking online I confirmed the previous owners information and the fact that the aircraft had a reported accident in 1999. Sealed struts were installed when the aircraft was rebuilt (2002) extinguishing AD 47-16-03. AD 50-41-01, concerning bolts, and AD 2008-09-18 concerning float /ski /strut fittings have also been extinguished, and looking at the relevant Taylorcraft and FAA (RGL) web pages, I cannot find any others that apply to this s/n BC-12D-85.

Continental C-85-8F, Sensenich 74CK-2-44 aluminum climb prop, wind driven generator, radio, C mode but no dash B, set chocks and hand prop, EGT and CHT plus all the required instruments, 402 pound useful load, 18 gallon tankage, wheel pants, overall white with a red leading edge and stripe. I'm told it will cruise at 100 mph, but best range (2.7 hrs, 240 mi with a 0+45 reserve) is attained at 88 mph and 5.0 gph.

Is there some reason this is a bad idea? What should I ask before traveling to see it? What should I look at when I get there?

Back