Taylor Monoplane vs KR-1 / KR-2S (time and cost)

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

HoundLog

I think you can now get plans for the Chilton DW-1, certainly a vintage airplane:
http://www.chilton-aircraft.co.uk/newlybuilt.html
A week or two ago I put quite a few google-hours into the Chilton. It's gorgeous. It has an amazing classic look.

Many thanks for the other suggestions too guys. It's good we live in a world with so much choice.

I've been having another investigation into the Sonerai thanks to Little Scrapper. I had no idea that OA welding would've be sufficient for the fuse. That's pretty great. I had imagined myself needing a TIG. :nervous: I've done plenty of brazing and enjoyed it a great deal so OA appeals a lot.

This amazing one recently started flying not too far from me (ZK-SNG):

http://nzcivair.blogspot.co.nz/2017/01/new-sonerai-1-zk-sng-at-stratford.html

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
With amature welding, the odds of a successful welded joint with ample penetration is higher with Oxyacetylene than with TIG. You won't have any problem welding with Oxyacetylene as long as you commit to practicing.

KWK

HBA Supporter
... the Chilton. It's gorgeous. It has an amazing classic look.
But you'll need an in-line engine to maintain that look. I don't know if the Mikron is still made. The Rotax 582 would fit the bill, but make sure your carb never, ever runs lean. The little Suzuki conversions might do.

I know you want a monoplane, but if the classic lines of the Chilton attract you, perhaps the Flitzer biplane would do.

HoundLog

Oh man, a Sonerai with folding wings is right up your alley but it's steel......don't be afraid of steel.
After a couple more days of googling I can say that a Sonerai IIL configured as single seat is at the top of my list now. It does seem to be an option that's pretty hard to beat!

Thanks for the guidance, I think you've steered me in a great direction. :grin:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
After a couple more days of googling I can say that a Sonerai IIL configured as single seat is at the top of my list now. It does seem to be an option that's pretty hard to beat!

Thanks for the guidance, I think you've steered me in a great direction. :grin:
The plans are really neat, and Fred has all the back issues of the Sonerai newsletters on CD's which are a bargain. It's an amazing airplane.

HoundLog

This is a pretty ancient thread but I thought I'd say where I ended up. After 2 more years of thinking I've decided on a Taylor Titch. Build log here:

titchbuild.blogspot.com

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Thanks for the update and I look forward to following your build. What engine are you planning to use in your Titch?

HoundLog

Not sure on engine at this stage to be honest. They've flown with a wide variety. I'll try to get the tail and wings done then tackle that question.

don january

Log Member
A Taylor Titch is a great way to scratch that itch. I always pictured the Titch with Lil Scrappers Cassutt going around pylons.:) 85-125 hp would be a good preformer.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Reactions: BJC

HoundLog

How is the Titch coming along? any chance of taking a look? I'm in Hamilton. Russ 021-116-1965
Hi Russ. I'm putting jigs together and waiting on materials currently. I'm hoping to have most of the tail bashed out in the next few months though. Happy to chat anytime. I've sent you a text.

n45bm

Some really nice footage of a Sonerai 2. Build a 2 and turn it in to a 1 with storage.
[video=youtube_share;tilvhVPTEyk]

Sonerai forum is great. Plans are simple. Lots of help available and lots of completed Sonerai all over the country.

The KR is cool I guess, but the KR 1 is not popular at all. Ken Rand was a tiny guy. I guess I'd build a 2 and make it a 1.

The Taylor is probably a nice airplane but it's different than a KR on quite a few things.
How about a Corby Starlet. I built and still have the first Starlet to fly in the US, n45bm. It's an Australian design and is better looking than the Monoplane, or even the KR1. I also have the Tayor Titch plans and have built most of the metal parts, but none of the wood parts. I also have the CX4 plans and have drawn a different vertical tail for it. IF I were to build one, it would also have the fast back option.