Tandem Wing Pusher

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Starman, Oct 30, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 14, 2010 #141

Starman

Starman

Starman

[​IMG]

Yes, a good eye, for health and nice curves. I camped in the spot in this picture, it's in Volcanoland (Washington) which has the steepest mountains in the world. That spot is quite high altitude for around here, it took two days of walking ten miles a day with a lot of altitude gain each day. All the most beautiful places are at least two days walk away, so day hikers never get there so there is a lot of solitude.

I camped at the edge you see there, where there is a huge droppoff of a mile or so with one of the biggest lakes in the Alpine Lake region of the Cascades between the edge and the mountains in the distance. Off to the leftt there is a shallow high altitude lake. While I was setting up camp a hawk kept swooping down low right around me.

There's an invitational backpacking trip early next fall, when the Larches turn golden, with my group. If you want to take a long walk in the woods with some ninjas then come along. Ninja uniforms are not allowed.

2. Nov 14, 2010 #142

Starman

Starman

Starman

Good idea, that's why I'm building the plane as a two seater.

3. Nov 18, 2010 #143

Mac790

Mac790

Mac790

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      17.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Nov 24, 2010 #144

Starman

Starman

Starman

Good idea, that's why I decided to make the cockpit side by side seating, so we can hold hands on the way over there.

Evidently the previous fuselage wasn't so locked after all :gig:

This is what I came up with so far, with some minor changes and still being a sailplane type front, but copying the S-10 drive system, I come up with something like this.

It's for potentially heavy engines and it (the fuselage) is to be able to take more than 1000hp, and 10 Gs. Like the one shown with a cast iron Hemi with a supercharger and a PSRU, I have a PSRU design already picked out that can handle the power reliably and it's a secret :) If it's cruised a lot at over 500hp it would need to have the gears changed a bit more often is all.

... that's just a maxed out scenario, for someone who wants to spend $ and go fast. It can carry a truck diesel V8, or an aluminum V8 mounted a little further back, which is what I'll use for starters.

I want it to stall at 55 knots or less so it needs slotted leading edge flaps in addition to the regular slotted flaps, with wing loading at around 30psf. Showing that wing, but first i might make a bigger rectangular or lightly tapered wing to use while I work on the high speed wing and engine.

Attached Files:

5. Nov 28, 2010 #145

Starman

Starman

Starman

I know lifting tails on conventional planes are to be avoided, although I wonder if the pitch control was on the front if it would help the stability.

In any case I was only wondering earlier if you have an 80/20 plane if you still call it a tandem or could call it conventional - I think tandem.

I think of it as a tandem wing plane with a heavier loaded front end than a Dragonfly or Q-200. Think of a Dragonfly with a couple of lead bricks in the footwells, it would probably still fly well enough and the Dragonfly is a 60/40 F/R loaded tandem.

I was hoping to have the front wing carry more than the Dragonfly, Nominally an 80/20 weight distribution. It seems to me it would still be stable if you allowed for the differences.

For example, lightly loaded, if there was no passenger and the pilot was a naked Japanese midget flying at sea level on almost empty tanks but at high speed (Low Cl) then the rear wing might be lifting as much as 25%; but if you had to fly Aunt Bertha across the country, so full tanks, and she brought her big bags with everything including her cast iron chastity belt and two .45 cal six shooters in addition to her ten ton camping boots then during takeoff with a large flap (elevator) deflection the rear wing might only be lifting 10% of the weight and the front wing 90.

If for some reason this forward loading isn't stable then it is possible to juggle the engine and wing locations enough to get it to 60/40.

The reason this design looks like a conventional plane while still being a tandem is because of the rear engine and front cockpit I think.

Thanks for your input.

6. May 2, 2011 #146

Mac790

Mac790

Mac790

Attached Files:

• gl1.jpg
      gl1.jpg
      File size:
      53.3 KB
      Views:
    • gl2.jpg
      gl2.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Oct 23, 2014 #147

aboazeaz

aboazeaz

aboazeaz

Hi guysI like the tandem design for short wingspan, i need both wings to make same lift .and here is my diagram handmade and I need to ask if it is OK.Where would be CG, and where the controling ailerons and flaps, do I need rudder and stabilizer for such design.Your help is of great appreciation.

Attached Files: