• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tandem wing design discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
As my earlier thread on the lack of canard LSA/microlight aircraft on the market seemed to be morphing into a discussion of tandem wing designs, I though I'd start a new thread.

I have in mind a small, light tandem-wing two-seater able to meet both LSA and French microlight rules, which means a maximum gross weight of 472 kg/1040 lb, so a target empty weight of 250-270 kg/551-595 lb and a minimum speed in the landing configuration of 65 kph/40 mph/35 knots. Ideally, I'd like to use a Type 1 VW conversion between 1835cc (65 hp max, 60 hp continuous) and 2300 cc (80 hp max, 74 hp continuous).

Why a tandem? Well, partly for the docile low-speed handling of a well-designed tandem, and partly just to do something different.

I need to crunch some numbers and do some sketches, but in the meantime here is some inspiration from 1936, the Mauboussin M.40 Hemiptère. Squint your eyes and imagine a VW out front, an enlarged cockpit for two, an enclosed canopy and trigear and you have one possible configuration.

Other concepts and suggestions welcome!

Cheers,

Matthew

Attachments

• mauboussin hemiptère front.jpg
    mauboussin hemiptère front.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,313
  • 1936 - 2533 Mauboussin 1.pdf
    326 KB · Views: 813
  • 1936 - 2536 Mauboussin 2.pdf
    344.3 KB · Views: 664
Back