Tandem or side-by-side?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by mysouthernwings, Nov 13, 2004.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 13, 2004 #1

mysouthernwings

mysouthernwings

mysouthernwings

Hello all, I haven't posted in a while (went to seven 12's) but I have a question. Do you guys prefer tandem, or side-by-side seating?? I am going to order the plans for the rag wing storch, but can't make up my mind if I want the traditional tandem or side-by side. (they make the airplane in both configurations) Thanks for your input

Chris

2. Nov 13, 2004 #2

orion

orion

orion

I think the bottom line is not so much what we like but more so what you like - unless of course you're doing a market survey.

Both seating configurations have their fans although the side-by-side configuration tends to be more popular. I personally prefer tandem since sitting on an airplane's centerline is a unique experience that really allows you to get the feel of the airplane's flight. Having flown SuperCubs, T-34s and recently, a T-6, my inherent preference is for this arrangement.

The side-by-side arrangement is more popular since if you're planning to share your flying experience with someone, it tends to be preferable to have them sitting next to you. This is especially the case when flying with your spouse, who generally tends to prefer the security of sitting next to you, rather than isolated in the rear seat.

3. Nov 14, 2004 #3

mysouthernwings

mysouthernwings

mysouthernwings

I like them both, actually. I have done a lot of flying in C-150's and J-3's. But you have made a good point. My wife would be flying with me, and she may feel more secure sitting next to me. (remembering my first knife edge slip in a j-3 at Lee airport in Annapolis: SCARED THE HELL OUT OF ME!) Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Chris

4. Dec 14, 2004 #4

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

Greyeagle44f

I am not certain my wife would have flown in my Falco if it was not side-by-side...apprehension. A headset in the back cannot match her looking me in the eye!

Lots of tandem time...PT-23, BT-13, AT-6, T-33.

5. Dec 14, 2004 #5

Oscar Wilson

Oscar Wilson

Oscar Wilson

If you get stuck in the backseat there is aways a big obstical in the way
    in my case most of my buddys are big, old, can't bend or duck down
    very well. But what ever you pick flying is the most fun you can ever have. OOW