• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tandem CG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docskyhawk

I have switched back to doing a tandem wing design and I’m having an issue laying out the major sections to get the CG where I want it. Right now it is a pusher with the engine mounted aft of the rear wing(think single engine Scaled Proteus). This project will be a two seater with the cabin forward of the front wing. The issue I am having is due to the weight of the engine I am considering. I have not calculated avionics and other systems yet but with only one pilot, the engine is causing the CG to be aft of the center of lift. With two pilots and a full tank of fuel it isn’t an issue. Could I just increase the wing area of the aft wing to load it lighter and follow the 1.5/1.0 wing loading? I still see this as an issue though if both wings end up in stall.

I can move the engine forward a bit and go with a drive shaft but that brings in some other issues that I would rather avoid.

Back