Talking to the tower from an experimental

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by pequeajim, Oct 23, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 23, 2006 #1

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

Do we always need to say "experimental" + tail number when talking to the tower, or can we say "Manufacturer" + tail number? Like "RV" or "Murphy"?

Is this the way that the tower differenciates between a certified aircraft and an experimental one?

I'm sure I have heard some guy at the airport use "Kitfox" before his tail number?

2. Oct 23, 2006 #2

wally

wally

wally

I "think" the rules are that you must inform them that the plane is an experimental. If they need or care to know what kind, they can ask "Say aircraft type". The aircraft type may help them judge airspeed capability or it may not matter to them at the time.

I don't have the regs handy - just what I remember, someone else may have more info.

wally

3. Oct 23, 2006 #3

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

This came up on the RV forum as well.

The way I see it is at a non towered airport, I am going to call myself RV-7JS.

When making initial contact to a tower or approach facility I plan on calling myself Experimental RV N357JS. Subsequently I plan on saying RV-7JS or just simply 7JS.

I understand this to be in compliance with the FAR AIM, although I have never looked it up.

I suppose I don't want the facts to cloud my view of how I percieve the regs!

:gig: CJ

4. Oct 24, 2006 #4

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

I guess to be sure I will talk to the guys in the tower. I would be flying from a towered airport most of the time so it's a probably a good idea to know what they want.

5. Oct 24, 2006 #5

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

Lemme know what they say!

I know the guys around here couldn't give a hoot!

Hell, the RV isn't even in the contollers database!

Last time I was at Boston Center in Nashua I looked for it! They didn't have it in Manchester, NH either!

I dunno why. Maybe there needs to be another 5,000 kits completed before they recognize it as a common airplane!

6. Oct 24, 2006 #6

Craig

Craig

Craig

Radio calls

Well, the FAA does have DUCE in it's data base, so I am better off then Capt. John.

Non-towered, I just call myself "blue and yellow parasol". Towers I use "Experimental 96 CW". Subsequently, as John says, I just use "6 CW". Never had a complaint.

At the non-towered, any descriptive phrase will work to help other pilots in the area spot you. They don't care about your N-number, they just want to see you. And you wnat them to see you, too, so help 'em out.

"Ugly high wing on final" really gets their attention . . . . .

7. Oct 25, 2006 #7

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

Stuart Tower, Ugly high wing in sight, number two for runway 25, 7JS!

Hahaha...

8. Oct 25, 2006 #8

pequeajim

pequeajim

pequeajim

Well I talked to one of the guys in the tower today, man, he was pretty friendly!

They way he described it was like this. The reason that they like to know if we are an experimental is because THEY can not ask an experimental to land and hold short. It is in their FARs, but not ours. Even though almost all experimentals could probably land in a much shorter distance than most certifieds, the FAA says no LAHS requests.

He also stated that saying Experimental Rebel 572MR as opposed to leaving Rebel out helps them with a little more information when sequencing aircraft. I guess Experimental GlasAir would be a little faster than Experimental Rebel...

Anyway, it was a pleasure to finally talk to one of the tower people. They really made my learning experience easy. They are friendly and professional.

We parted with him saying, "give us a call some time and come up and visit. We'll put a pot of coffee on".

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  9. Oct 26, 2006 #9

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Falco Rob

Down here in Oz we don't even think about saying "Experimental', nor do we have to, I believe.

We just give our type and call sign, as you would in a production aircraft, but the word "Experimental" is not used.

My home base at Jandakot, in Western Australia is the busiest GA airport in the Southern hemisphere and has quite a contingent of homebuilts.

Even though they handle about 35,000 movements per year the controllers are very friendly towards us, I guess because they appreciate that we're flying aircraft which are almost always of considerably higher performance than whatever else may be in the circuit.

They give priority to the faster types, irrespective of whether it's a homebuilt or not, and occasionally my buddies with their Glasairs get a "Make No 1 to the twin" call when they're rapidly overtaking the Aero club's aging Seminole on downwind.

They're also on the ball when it comes to recognising our aircraft and will identify them by type to other traffic.

I've never heard a complaint from any of our guys about the controllers here - quite the opposite, in fact - they will go out of their way to help.

Sorry, got off the thread there a bit - started out talking about radio protocol and ended up giving our tower guys a pat on the back - ah well, I hope they read this - they deserve a wrap!

10. Oct 26, 2006 #10

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

That's awesome. We all ought to go check out the tower. Might do a lot for GA relations if we strike up friendships like this.

My airport doesn't have a tower, but one nearby does. Maybe I'll stop by sometime and see what goes on in there.