talk about tedium!

Discussion in 'Wood Construction' started by Starflight, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM #1

Starflight

Starflight

Starflight

Saskatchewan..."GO RIDERS"(pride)where's my banjo?
    I recently wanted to produce some small parts to the required dimensions, so that they would be ready to install once the large portions of the aircraft were ready for assembly. Some of the first (107 total per wing panel) would be the corner blocking. My wing modification included an increase in semi-span which did not require a change in the number of ribs; only a slight spacing increase. The thickness of airfoil was reduced to 14%, as was the chord of the wing; back to 50 inches (VP-1). The number of corner blocks required for the front spar (5" each) is 53. The aft spar (4-1/4") requires 42, and the aileron (6 feet long X 13.25") requires twelve 4" long corner blocks. Total dollars for 5/8" X5/8" triangular Sitka material from ASC is $69.08 per wing panel.

2. Sep 13, 2019 at 1:48 AM #2

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Just a thought...
    If it's a VP style wing, you could just use Pine corner stock from the lumberyard. Set a stop on your tablesaw or miter saw and zip them out real quick. There's no need for Stika Spruce, especially when you have 37" of it per rib.

If you don't already have a better plan for clamping the corner blocks in place, these work great: coat hanger wire wrapped around a boom stick, you can get 3 or 4 out of a coat hanger.
    20190820_090758_resized.jpg

delta, fly2kads and pictsidhe like this.
  3. Sep 13, 2019 at 4:33 AM #3

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Looks like a set of lifter holders for a VW engine when you put the cases together

dmar836 likes this.
  4. Sep 13, 2019 at 5:55 PM #4

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

That's probably where I got the idea...

5. Sep 13, 2019 at 8:24 PM #5

Starflight

Starflight

Starflight

Thanks for the clarification on the wood used for this application. No mention in the plans regarding the 'species' ID for those 1/4 round parts. BTW- I failed to express my gratitude for your cautionary suggestion about strut angles. Saved me having to tear out the bulkheads after constructing a 'stock' fuselage.

6. Sep 14, 2019 at 4:33 AM #6

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Are you building a modified VP-1 or is it your own design? Do you have any drawings?

7. Sep 16, 2019 at 9:33 PM #7

Starflight

Starflight

Starflight

I am building a VP-2 from scratch (will name it something else when done). The objective is to make it a better flying airplane. Did not like the low aspect ratio of the ptp wing and not willing to go the false spar route. First iteration will remove 100 pounds from the airplane's empty weight; a good percentage of that decrease could be accomplished with an engine change (hint*). I have the 70 pages of drawings from WF as a guide and a drafting table for the new drawings. Factored into my redesign was some help from Prandtl's curves for horsepower/span loading and time to climb to 5000 feet. Will try to get some drawings uploaded in the near future. The original aircraft was designed around a perceived need for "off-the-shelf" materials' but the demand for the 2 place version cramped Bud's vision. If he had one more year to get the plans out in modified form, it might have been a winner.

robertl and FritzW like this.
  8. Sep 17, 2019 at 4:57 AM #8

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Yep, you nailed it. Looking forward to seeing your drawings.