Tailwind on Craigslist

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

What all would go into something like this? New crank? Can cranks in spec still be found for an O-290?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Lyc- 0-320 crank will work. Even has a thicker prop flange.

proppastie

Log Member
before the prop strike AD it was routine to "dial the crank" and if it was not bent to put a new prop on and keep flying......I even heard of a homebuilder shimming a prop on a bent crank although I personally would not do that......it just depends on if you can sleep at night.

rv7charlie

Does he mean the engine on the airplane had a prop strike, or does he mean the "spare" O-290 that comes with it had the prop strike?
"new prop, extra 0-290D engine- unknown condition.

Wood prop strike, crank flange is unusable after straightening attempt. Needs prop strike tear down and replacement crank.... Good cylinders in mid-70's, "

Sounds like a proven bad crank + unknown engine, to me.

TFF

The issue is a barnstormers special crank is more expensive than the owner values the airplane to fix. If you bent a crank with a wood prop, you really smacked it.

It’s in the numbers. If you do your own wrenching, you might be able to fix it for $2500, plus prop. That’s Assuming a lot is good and you can evaluate it. Take it somewhere or have an engine already, north of $10K to fix.

Lots of variables. If it’s still as nice as the pictures, probably not a bad plane. If the cowl is busted and bent, motor mount cracked or bent, you got more to do. You still don’thave to build the whole thing, if all you are interested in is flying. To me the Tailwind is the best overall traditional design for homebuilts; not necessarily the best in a certain category. Flying ones are$20-40k depending on builder and version. You are not going to flip it and make a killing or part it out. You got to want it to fix.

speedracer

I have a rebuilt 235 crankshaft (Aircraft Specialties) for sale on Trade A Plane that will work on the 290. All 290 G's have 235 crankshafts.

pfarber

If you bend the flange you also cracked some drive gears and gonna need to check the rods.

Also, there is no such thing as a 'prop strike AD'. There are SBs, but nothing to the leven of AD.

Value? Motor is junk, airframe maybe $2-3k avionics are minimal and add nothing.

If it was worth saving for $5k don't you think a smart seller would repair it and sell it as flying for $15k???

TFF

There is an AD on the crank drive gear if prop strike. 2004-10-14. There isn’t one on the prop flange as there is already protocols well understood. Most people are scared enough about loosing a prop that they don’t push it, at least not bigger engines. It’s only a pen stroke away if the FAA didn’t think people were doing the right thing.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Most people , but still there are those that just forget it.
I saw a Piper Super Cub that stalled in a low level turn at the beginning of the runway and the right wheel hit the ground and balanced and then the left wheel hit the ground and the left wing tip almost hit the ground with the tail up very high, almost going over on it top. When the tail was very high, the prop threw large chunks of sod up in the air at least 20'.
Ignored and still flown as nothing happen.