Tail Wheel Instruction - Dallas/Ft. Worth?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

I have heard Texas Taildraggers is nice to work with. The opposite with the place with 4 in its name. May be different now. What you are doing, going to Phoenix to Budd Davisson or Florida for Steve Wolf might be money well spent. Just depends on how much tuning you want.

lakeracer69

You need some Pitts S-2 time with Budd Davidson or Steve Wolfe. You need to learn how to land a brick if you are going to fly that plane of yours. Decathalon time isn't the same thing.

My .02

TXFlyGuy

You need some Pitts S-2 time with Budd Davidson or Steve Wolfe. You need to learn how to land a brick if you are going to fly that plane of yours. Decathalon time isn't the same thing.

My .02
Just need a refresher on tailwheel stuff. Around 100 hours in DC-3's (early 80's), and a few hours in a Legend Cub a couple years ago. My real checkout will be in my plane with the factory test pilot.

Pops

Log Member
When getting checked out in a tailwheel , like your pilots license, its just a sign-off to learn, you will never be a master, just a student.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
The two places I have heard good things about are Big Q Aviation (Carol Walker) in Midlothian, and Four Winds Aviation in McKinney. Last I heard, they both had both Citabrias and Pitts S2s available.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I think I recall the flight school at Northwest Regional Airport (Roanoke) having a Citabria on its flightline.

(of course, It was a few years ago and I may be mistaken)

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I think I recall the flight school at Northwest Regional Airport (Roanoke) having a Citabria on its flightline.

(of course, It was a few years ago and I may be mistaken)
That was Marcair. Looks like they have since moved down the road to the Alliance airport. As far as I know, they still offer tailwheel training in Citabrias. I don't know as much about them, but they have been around for a good while.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Myron:

If you get tailwheel-current in a Citabria or a Decathlon, fly from the back seat with an instructor up front who blocks most of your forward view, and fly downwind at 110 MPH, base at 100, and final at 90. Getting accustomed to the limited forward view and closer-to-typical pattern speeds is just as important as reminding you feet what the pedals are for.

Have fun.

BJC

Pops

Log Member
Flying a slow taildragger were there is time to react is a lot different than landing at twice the speed.

TXFlyGuy

Myron:

If you get tailwheel-current in a Citabria or a Decathlon, fly from the back seat with an instructor up front who blocks most of your forward view, and fly downwind at 110 MPH, base at 100, and final at 90. Getting accustomed to the limited forward view and closer-to-typical pattern speeds is just as important as reminding you feet what the pedals are for.

Have fun.

BJC
Looks like I'll be working with a real nice lady (Joy) at Texas Taildraggers. Back seat in a Citabria. Had a good conversation with Joy on the phone this morning, and she put me on her schedule. Looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone here for the input and feedback.