• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Tail Boom Attachment, any thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveD

Ok, so I'm trying to think through how to attach the tail booms to the wings. What I've come up with so far is this:

Treat the tail boom a bit like a fuselage attachment where the spar carries through the bending loads without transferring them to the structure.

A picture paints 1000 words but I'll try and describe what's going on in the picture (you'll need to click it for the big version!!). This is a sketch of the right wing. The outer panel is shown, the inner panel is transparent. the Green spars represent the spars of the outer wing panel and the orange spars, the inner wing panel. Blue is the tail boom, Red is the attach pins. I've cut away a lot of the spars and ribs so you can see what is going on!

Basically the front spars are uninterrupted by the tail boom, they will overlap and be pin jointed (not shown) to carry the bending loads from the outer to inner wing. There will be plates mounted between the flanges and web of the orange (inner front spar) which will accept the front pin on the tail boom.
For the rear spars the inner orange spar will end at the boom and similar to the front spar have a plate mounted between the flanges an web to accept one end of the rear pin. The green rear outer spar will pass through a carry through structure in the boom and then overlap the inner orange spar and once again transfer bending via two pin joints through the webs (not shown). Mounted to the back of the green rear outer spar will be a bracket to accept the outside end of the rear pin (hidden by the boom in the picture).

The arrangement should allow both front and rear wing spars to connect without passing any loads to the boom. All the boom forces will be transferred to the wings via the pin receptacles attached to the spars. (in reality they will probably be part of the close out ribs ate the ends of the wing panels.

I suspect that made no sense at all, sorry:dis:

boomAttach.jpg

Back