• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

taer pin reamrs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird

where can I procure, buy, borrow, rent, reamers for the taper pins for my Sonerai ii? No one at the local EAA chapter can give me any advice, so am at a loss on how to get the job done. Reaming the wing/carry-through and fitting aileron links are only thing remaining to complete before cover.
Any and all advice, help is greatly appreciated. (not many resource for help on homebuilts out here in WY)

Hi Firebird,
You could make a trip to Lander and borrow the main spar reamer from me. I am doing what some others have done on the rear spar, and just using a bolt. I do not recall the bolt size.

Scott R

Look at MSC Industrial Supply on-line catalog.

On a S-2, you need a #3 B&S Taper for the rear, and a #5 B&S Taper for the front.
Haven't looked at the cost lately, but 6 - 8 years ago they were about $45/ea.

Tom H

Would someone please explain how we attach the wings? Do we use bolts or a special pin or what? Thanks Woody

Woody:
All of the Sonerai's are designed to use AN386 taper pins to secure the wings to the two carry-thru's. Two AN386-5-16A taper pins are used to hold each main spar to the main spar carry-thru. One AN386-3-12A taper pin is used to attach each rear spar to the rear spar carry thru. As Tom H stated, you use Brown & Sharpe #5 and #3 taper reamers to finish the holes with each spar mounted in the carry-thru's. When I built my airplane, I drilled and reamed the main spar and carry-thru on my drill press before assembling the wings. The rear spar pin holes were drilled and reamed in place in the fuselage after the wings were completed. It is possible to drill and ream the main spar holes in the fuselage with the wings completed. It's just a little more difficult.

Thanks for a quick reply Fred. This plane was flying at one time so I only needed to know what type of bolt to use. Woody

Well, I haven't tried to find any yet. I'm sure someone has them. G.P should have them or be able to direct us in the right direction. W

I read somewhere on here that GP's are not "standard" AN386 taper pins. I'll call them and see what's up with the pins they are selling.

I seem to recall finding them at aircraft spruce. I lost a few over the winter so I had to procure some more. I bought them from aircraft spruce. I believe they were a B/O item or something as it took a while to receive them.

Thanks Smoothmat ~~ I'll try them even if we have to backorder them. I'm sure there are others that will have to address this also.

Aircraft Spruce has the rear pins for the wings. Haven't found the front pins yet.
The rear pins are coming from California. W

racegunz said:
The largest that Aircraft Spruce has on the web is AN386-4-12 ???

That's all they have in the catalog as well -- I gather GP still has "appropriately” sized pins ??

Is it possible to use an appropriate AN-bolt/nut arrangement? I’ve looked through the galleries and it looks like some may have done so (appeared to be bolt/nut arrangements because there are “wrenching surfaces” on both ends of a couple pics), although they may also just be temporary fasteners for the spar carry-through during fabrication.

OK -- I just ordered `em from GP (and when they arrive, i shall but them in a safety-deposit box until I need `em ;) )

Good for you! I'll order them today as well. I have looked everywhere on the net and did not turn up any. There was one place in Boston that had them but the lady would not even talk to me. I'm going to order two sets just in case. W

I looked for these pins once myself when I had misplaced one of mine..the price was SCARY! I went looking again an finally found them.

Back