• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

taer pin reamrs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: taper pin reamers

I've been in the practice of 'installing' my taper pins in the fuselage when the wings are removed. That way they are always there.

I have big hands and found the rear spar taper pin nuts and step washers very hard to install/remove. So I turned and milled special nuts from aircraft bronze. They make the nut and step washer one piece. They are also drilled for lockwire and accept a 7/16 X 12 point socket. The socket will still fit with the lockwire started on the nut. Since the taper pins are essentially a fastener in shear, high strength or locking nuts are not required.
Bill E

Always excited to learn more metallurgy: Bil438, what is "aircraft bronze"? ???

Tom

Tom,
Some metallurgist discovered that (simply said) if you substituted Aluminum for Tin in Nickel-Tin Bronze, it weighed slightly less. It may also be a little easier to machine. It looks a shade lighter in colour (I think) than Bronze or Gunmetal, used for Naval Cannon.
Because I live near an big airport with factories there are metal stores nearby and they stock both.
I once asked the stockist for bronze for some 2" round bronze. he said he had none. So I walked to the shelves and asked him what this bronze was? He replied aircraft bronze so I bought that. Rather than ask for a specific alloy it may be better to ask what has.
Bill E

On the avspares website it is worth doing a search for just the start of the part number AN386.... You often find that the suppliers of NS (new surplus) stock has the part number slightly wrong on their stock system.... For example... AN386-3-12 may be on their system as AN386-312.... Worth having a look.... That's how I got my Taper pins recently.... One supplier had over 40 of some sizes!

Could somebody post a picture of their pins (front and rear) installed - might sound strange, however, I have all the pins, washers, nuts and 2 reamed leaves that came with the rear pins. I didn't disassemble my S2 and have only just put the wings on. I expected the pins to be inserted easily and they don't (hence my question last week on reamed holes etc which in hindsight was pointless because I hadn't had the time to properly look at the fit). I'm away for the next 2 weeks and will on my return take pictures of the pins and post. In the mean time (as I haven't come across reamed spar pins and holes before) pictures would be a great help. Also, how much rubber mallet force is required to properly insert the front and rear pins and is it necessary to manipulate the wings while pushing in the pins. Seems a stupid question!
Thanks

Reviving old thread. I'm looking for a source of a AN386-3-12A taper pin. Only 1 needed.
Thanks,
Jim

Dave Wilcox (second time his name has come up today) used to lend his reamer for the main spar. He hasn't posted on this site in years but you might find him on a Sonex forum. For the rear spar I simply used AN4 bolts.

Ed

Oops! Disregard my post. Didn't realize I was responding to an ancient post! Still getting used to this new site.

Ed

We have boxes of them at Piper where I now work.Im in the machine shop there.I haven't got to this task on my Sonerai but I can tell you that to properly do spar boxes or landing gear you need to make a holding fixture and do it in a drill press.I know we are experimental but we have to be within. 0005 on those on certificated ac.You really need a taper pin gauge to check the tolerances

Back