Quantcast

TA16 Trojan amphibian information?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

whiteknight

Folks,

What is known about this design by David Thurston? I understand that it is an amphibious design that was offered as a plans built for a wile? How does it differ from the Lake Renegade or Seawolf?

Sincerely,

whiteknight

Last edited:

whiteknight

Hi folks :)

Please don't everyone comment at the same time. I hate to say that I am somewhat disappointed by the complete lack of response to my post. Did I start the thread in the wrong location on the forum? Does it need to be moved?

Someone must have some knowledge or expertize to contribute to the subject. What can someone tell about this aircraft and where can I get my hands on a set of plans?
Thank you.

Sincerely,

whiteknight

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I think Thurston is still alive but I do not know where. I thought that he quit selling plans when a company was going to manufacture the plane. If yiou are an EAA member you can go the members section and search for articles that Thurston wrote or that had the plane as the subject. Good luck. Searching for plans is frustrating.

craig saxon

Sorry Whitenight, didn't see your original post. Last time I checked David Thurston is still alive. the members of the yahoo group do monitor the sight even though it doesn't seem very active. David T had a bad reaction to an operation and has had to retire. His son now handles all inquiries. I lost his contact information when my email account was hacked and Yahoo cancelled it along with all my messages and contacts. There are a number of others on the group who can put you in touch with the Thurston family, see above link. I am in the process of importing a set of tooling for a composite version and contacted the family to get permission to use Thurstons design to produce the composite version. I now have a royalty agreement. The original aluminium airplane is an extremely complex project,around 10,000 hours build time. The family did offer me the rights to the plans but with the limited market for 4 place amphibians and the complexity of the build I couldn't justify the expense. Once I have a proven prototype of the composite version, I will offer kits but don't expect a huge demand. This will be probably a few years hence. Feel free to pmme for more info or join the yahoo group.b

pictsidhe

Banned
If plans can't be bought new any longer, you could check ebay and barnstormers. The yahoo group would likely be worth joining, too.

Turd Ferguson

Dave Thurston passed away ~2013. There were ~10 Thurston TA-16's built and actually flown. There is supposedly 1 not far from where I live with a LS1 engine. Have never seen it.

not sure about plans availability but I'd guess they are somewhat rare.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I’ve always liked the Teal. The Trojan’s performance numbers, as cited on WiKi, are impressive, if true.

BJC

Wanttaja

Two guys in Seattle built a couple of TA-16s, and finished them about 20 years ago... Bob Hammer and Dave Woodcock. ISTR that one of them took a trophy at Oshkosh. Both were experienced homebuilders who had completed previous aircraft.

They didn't like the "Trojan" name, and called theirs "Seafires." They were modified to have joysticks instead of yokes, and used different engines... Woodcock's had an IO-520 from an A-36 Bonanza and a three-bladed prop, Hammer's airplane has an IO-470 and a two-bladed prop.

Biggest difference between the Seafire and the Lake is that the Seafire has a tractor engine. It made it a lot easier to find an engine and propeller combination.

I wrote an article about their builds, it appeared in KITPLANES magazine about 2000. Here's one of the pictures I shot for it:

Ron Wanttaja

spaschke

Thanks Ron. Interesting. I didn't know there was a composite version. It is very much like my Adventurer333 and of course more like a Lake. The 333 is a high wing which makes the interior more useable, but the engine is more forward on the 333 (over the COG) which could make pitch handling worse. The 333 has doors just like a Lake.
Steve