TA-152 Washout.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Soehlig

Kinda toying with designing a TA-152 inspired aircraft. I was reading on the wiki page (not sure if that's a good start) that the TA-152 has 3 degrees of washout. Is this on about the right track? I appreciate any help or advice. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Sounds reasonable. It can be tricky to find such data, and it may not be applicable in your case anyway as presumably you will be using different airfoils at different Reynolds numbers than the TA-152?

Soehlig

I looked up the NACA airfoil and tried to replicate it. I'm not sure if scale would have anything to do with it. This would be a smaller aircraft that is definitely slower (which I guess would be a lower Reynolds number??).

Tiger Tim

Just thinking out loud here but a scale warbird touring motor glider would be a neat machine. Obviously a TA-152 comes to mind but also a BV-155 or even a Westland Welkin if you want a twin. Any late WWII high altitude fighter, really.

Riggerrob

We must caution you against exactly copying the TA-152 wing because it was developed from the Focke-Wulf 150 that had a nasty stall with flaps up. FW.190 stalls tamed down when flaps were lowered.
At a minimum, thoroughly review your TA.152 wing drawings before cutting any aluminum, foam, wood, etc.

llemon

The Ta-152 had non-linear geometric twist. Something like the outer 20% of span being a constant angle.

The nasty stall of the wing was likely a side effect of the 23 series airfoil.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The nasty stall of the wing was likely a side effect of the 23 series airfoil.
Welcome to HBA.

Use the search function; we have discussed the 230XX airfoil stalling characteristics at length. Botton line: all the declarations about its “nasty stall characteristics” simply are not valid.

Also look at the airfoil usage data base. You will see that lots of highly successful aircraft use the 230XX airfoil.

BJC

Norman

HBA Supporter
all the declarations about its “nasty stall characteristics” simply are not valid.
Yes BUUUT that's because 3D planform effects can override 2D airfoil effects. The Ta-152 wing planform is NOT helpful because it tapers (a lot) in both chord and thickness, both of which aggravate tip stall. The only saving grace of the wing geometry is the washout which, as llemon stated in post #7, is nonlinear and probably doesn't go far enough for a general aviation machine.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Yes BUUUT that's because 3D planform effects can override 2D airfoil effects.
Yup, real world; I’ve never yet seen a wing with an infinite span.
The Ta-152 wing planform is NOT helpful because it tapers (a lot) in both chord and thickness, both of which aggravate tip stall.
Yup, planforms do have significant effects, especially those that result in a tip with a sharper LE radius operating at half the Rn of the inboard wing.

BJC