T&F Fabrication Practice Jig

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That's awesome thanks Scrapper!

I am doing my normal over analysis of the table. I should probably just replace the MDF top on my table and get going.

I have to fly quite a bit for the next week actually 7 out of 8 days but between late shows and a day off in the middle I will try to keep it up. Goal is at least one jig practice assy a day when I'm home. My wife has been terrific with letting me do this. As I'm gone more the list of other things that need attention gets longer so we'll see. Either way what a blast.

Your right Scrapper, it's really only been a few weeks, I can't believe I've owned that machine for 10 years and I've just now started to put the time in to know how to use it. When I first got it I played with a lot of stuff, even did some aluminum coupons with the AC. But this was always the goal.

Thanks for getting me headed in the right direction Scrapper...more to come!

wwalton

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Had time to do #9 and #10 today in between trips. #10 is my favorite so far. Finally got the .090 fitting to stay still while I melted it and it is pretty close to 90 degrees to the two tubes. I was working the pedal trying to imitate a guy I watched on youtube welding a bike frame like a manual pulse. I really
like the technique but I don't know if it's as strong...I was just keeping the puddle alive, adjusting and then when I added filler I gave it the beans.
dias1.jpg1090.jpg10x.jpg
lasten.jpgallten.jpg
I was wondering about the HAZ? Can you tell anything about it by the colors?
Still learning but starting to be a lot more fun. Out of Argon again and 4 day trip so have to get #11 and 12 next week.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Rainbow type colors are a sign of a great situation. When things start looking a little grey/black that means you’re dwelling a little bit and need to keep going so to speak. Travel speed greatly effects the colors and the heat signature it leaves behind.

But don’t overthink this. You are proving to be a great welder. Really proud of your effort and determination here.

You need to start building your airplane! Haha! Seriously. It’s time to start.