Quantcast

T-88 used as varnish

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Anyone have experience with using thinned T-88 as varnish?

What did you thin it with?

Any special precautions or tips?

Thanks,

BJC

TFF

Someone did it straight on the Biplane Forum.
I used the System Three Clear Coat which seems to be already thinned T-88. I guess it depends on the coverage needed. A little spot you could thin with denatured alcohol. I do that sometimes with model planes, but I would have to consider the actual job if I was to do it on a real plane. I would not want to glue to it if I thinned it. Pure varnish only. Repair only. Full varnish job, I would get a different product.

Reactions: BJC

Rockiedog2

Lacquer thinner will cleanup after T 88 so should thin it but I don’t know of any reason I would do that as long as PF EV400 is available

TiPi

Log Member
I used acetone with the MGS L285 system, but you can also use denatured alcohol. I "varnished" both sides of my ply sheets (0.8 to 1.5mm) to prevent the buckling and wobbly looks with changing humidity (I live in a tropical/sub-tropical climate with long, wet and hot summers. Apply it thinned but in generous quantities to allow good penetration and still have a decent volume of epoxy. It also spreads a lot easier, just keep moving it around (paint brush) until it starts to gel.
The positive side effect was that the ply sheets are quite a bit a stiffer and more resistant to deformation when touching (sanding). Just be aware that most epoxy is not very UV resistant and exposed areas need to be protected with marine varnish or paint.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Thanks for the replies. I just need a small amount, so I was interested to see if I could use the T-88.

I have decided to use some marine spar varnish.

BJC

pictsidhe

Epoxy kicks most solvents out of solution when it cures, giving a solvent filled foam. That will be a little porous. I'd rather use heat. Heating the workpiece seems like a good way to have sane pot life and still let it go on thin.

Dominic Eller

HBA Supporter
Norski wood treatment is good. Two part epoxy, very thin and goes on beautifully.
I’ve tested bonding to it with west system epoxy and it seems to hold same force’s as bare wood epoxied.