T-51 Mustang on Ebay

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

Nothing unusual at all about the sales. 1st was by the ins co, and winning bid went, as most do, to a salvage company, who's name and info is in the ad.
wentworthaircraftinc (6551 )
100% Positive feedback

Wentworth is probably the largest a/c salvage company in the country; *many* homebuilts are flying with Wentworth-sourced a/c engines. They have a good rep for honest dealing, but their ebay ad copy is always waaaaay over the top; they always read like a late night infomercial. And I've rarely if ever seen them include useful avionics or engine in an a/c airframe auction; homebuilt or not. The only reason the engine is included here is they figured they had no resale market for it to their certified customers.
Again, from the ad:
'THIS AIRCRAFT IS SOLD WITHOUT AVIONICS, BUT COMPLETE FROM (DAMAGED) PROPELLOR TO TAIL OTHERWISE.'

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Nothing unusual at all about the sales. 1st was by the ins co, and winning bid went, as most do, to a salvage company, who's name and info is in the ad.
wentworthaircraftinc (6551 )
100% Positive feedback

Wentworth is probably the largest a/c salvage company in the country; *many* homebuilts are flying with Wenworth-sourced a/c engines. They have a good rep for honest dealing, but their ebay ad copy is always waaaaay over the top; they always read like a late night infomercial. And I've rarely if ever seen them include useful avionics or engine in an a/c airframe auction; homebuilt or not. The only reason the engine is included here is they figured they had no resale market for it to their certified customers.
Again, from the ad:
'THIS AIRCRAFT IS SOLD WITHOUT AVIONICS, BUT COMPLETE FROM (DAMAGED) PROPELLOR TO TAIL OTHERWISE.'
It would be interesting to learn what they paid for it. The claims adjuster told me there is little salvage value in the airplanes, with $20,000 being a very high number. Most often $15,000 or less.

rv7charlie

He probably should have added, "To us." They aren't set up to do the legwork of transport, disassembly and marketing of the parts like the salvagers. I bet he would say the same kind of thing about cars.

n45bm

Seems the only salvageable parts are the seat cushions (although the trim tab may be fixable) and I don't care for the color.

I believe he has one too many digits in the price ...
Scrap metal at the yard might get you a few bucks.