T-51 Mustang on Ebay

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TXFlyGuy

Yes. The plane was licensed in June, crashed late June.
The owner loaded it up with luggage, topped off the tanks, and he and his new wife jumped in.
They were headed from Ohio to the Southwest. Never made it off the airport. After a very short takeoff roll, the plane went straight into the trees. Both occupants walked away, unhurt.

TXFlyGuy

After seeing these pictures, I realize that I am fortunate. I have good avionics, and the plane is fixable. The right wing is good! Only needs a new skin and a rib. Left wing most likely will be replaced. The fuselage is straight, no damage to the frame.

Things can always be far worse than what they are!

Saville

I found this part of the description interesting:

"THIS VERY HIGH PERFORMANCE VARIANT HAS A HIGH PROBABILITY OF TORQUE ROLLS AT LOW SPEED, MAKING THE AIRPLANE DIFFICULT TO CONTROL AT LOW SPEED AND HIGH POWER SETTINGS."

I thought that even with an LS3, the T-51 didn't torque roll at low speeds. Am I mistaken?

Plane looks like a write off to me.

$11,300 seems very high. Though I wonder if the engine came through unscathed.

TXFlyGuy

Correct, there is nothing salvageable on that plane. Total loss. The engine was developing full power when it went into the trees. So hard to tell if it has damage or not. Same for the PSRU.

Never heard of torque roll issues...at least not with the standard 84" propeller.

The eyewitnesses stated the pilot made an extremely short takeoff roll, getting airborne in less than 300 feet. The plane was at or maybe even over max gross weight. Fully loaded, baggage, full fuel, and two adults. Long x-country flight back home.

The weather was good VFR and the winds were light and variable. The plane veered to the left after getting in the air, at a high nose up attitude, and went straight into the trees that border the runways edge.

Even though the aircraft was totally destroyed, both occupants walked away unhurt. Pretty amazing.

Daleandee

Seems the only salvageable parts are the seat cushions (although the trim tab may be fixable) and I don't care for the color.

I believe he has one too many digits in the price ...

Hephaestus

Pretty sure there's another auction site showing it sold for about the asking price with avionics this summer. ;)

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Ten percent of flying market value is reasonable for salvage. Sheet metal is cheap.
I suspect it will sell for $25k if retail is $250,000.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... The engine was developing full power when it went into the trees. So hard to tell if it has damage or not. Same for the PSRU....
If it was developing full power when it hit the trees, they do.

Sounds like a classic departure stall at low altitude. That's square on the pilot.

What a shame. Looks like it was a beauty at some point.

Saville

TXFlyGuy

Looking like someone bought it in auction last August, but is now selling it on ebay? The ebay auction is still active. And there are 14 bids on it And I don't think the seller is the owner who pranged it:

THE PROBLEM SEEMED TO HAVE OCCURRED WHEN THE NEW OWNER WAS PILOT IN COMMAND.
Correct. The owner, who bought the plane from another individual, had an LS3 conversion done at the factory. Plus he had Titan paint the aircraft.
And yes, it was a nice example...right up until it went straight into the trees.

Regardless of what people think about T-51's, you are most likely going to walk away from any crash. Unhurt.