• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Systems Reliability - Need Component Failure Probability Estimates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I and another EAA chapter member are working on architecture decisions in our respective airplanes. In the process, I have assembled Failure Modes and Effects Analyses for several common options. Unfortunately, we have too small an experience base for confidence in estimating failure probabilities on the many components. We are looking for a broader experience set in estimating a number of things:
  • Likelihood of Failure
  • How likely individual items are to fail at engine start as opposed to in-flight?
  • Will we be able to detect the failures using common post-start and pre-takeoff checklist processes?
  • How likely are detection measures in finding impending failures?
If an item is available from B&C, please assume they are the source. My colleague in this exercise is using a Lycoming with factory supplied Surefly Ignition and Bendix Fuel Injection. My homebuilt is planned with SDS fuel injection and ignition. Estimates specific to the hardware are great.

Please help by giving your estimates of in-flight failure probabilities. Even if you can tell me how many hours you have and what failures you have experienced, I can collect that into an estimate of failure probabilities. I will take you thoughts on detection and failure modes on the following components:
  • Electrical components:
    • Batteries;
    • Carling DPDT switches;
    • Continuous Duty Contactors;
    • Continuous Duty Relays;
    • Alternators;
    • Regulators;
    • Diode packs and Diodes;
  • Ignition Equipment;
    • Conventional Magnetos;
    • E-Mags;
    • SDS Ignition and Coils;
    • Sure Fly Ignition;
  • Fuel Handling;
    • Mechanical Fuel Pumps;
    • Electric Fuel Pumps, Traditional;
    • Electric Fuel Transfer Pumps, Facet;
    • Electric Fuel Injection Pumps, Walbro;
    • SDS Fuel Injection;
    • Fuel Selector Valves, Traditional;
    • Fuel Selector Valves, Andair and Newton/SPRL
  • Sensors supporting electronic fuel and spark;
  • Avionics;
    • Avidyne GPS/NAV/COM;
    • Garmin GPS/NAV/COM
    • Dynon HDX Display/Processors;
    • Garmin Displays and Processors.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give us in estimating reliabilities in support of our efforts.

Billski

Last edited:
Back