Synergy Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Couldn't the same be said about the peanut gallery? They can also be quite and let him do his thing. I think I read Cheapracer throw out something about Asbergers Syndrome? I mean, this is completely out of control considering he's designing his own airplane.....which isn't completed.

Like most things in life the "peanut gallery" has all the answers, yet never seems to produce a dam thing. I learned this when starting a business, the 99% are an amusing group.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Imagine every penny you have, and that you çould borrow (before Go Fund Me) layed out in parts, and then people coming in and telling you your ideas are no good. Like I said years ago (but got deleted) I found it embarrassing.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me when I started my plumbing business. I was down to $7 in my entire life savings for over a week once, all I heard was people's ideas, from people who have never risked anything. Took me a long time but now I'm #1 in my demographic, not #5, or #17 but number freaking 1. People have no freaking clue what that takes and the stress on family it takes to achieve big goals, zero clue. I read through these pages and I guess I was reminded of my own battle that almost took everything from me including my marriage. Fortunately it didn't and it worked out for me quite well. There's a fine line though between success and failure and I consider myself lucky because I had just a couple people rooting for me. I hope this guy makes it, I really do.

Last edited:

StarJar

Brutal? Not really. It's usually counterproductive to sprout off performance numbers before your revolutionary creation is actually built and flying. I never understand why people feel they must do this. Almost 100% are forced to eat crow in the end. How many similar projects have we seen end up performing no better than designs which have existed for 20 years or more already?

Here's a concept- why not finish it quietly and then post the actual flight test numbers?
I don't think he was spouting off performance numbers as much as new ideas.
Ánd I got to thinking, if interferance drag cuts lift on a bipe, why wouldn't it conversly help on a down- lifting surface (in addition to straightening out some wake). Some moderators were jumping on the stab. heavilly, (but that was just one of several ideas contained in the design) and ironic to RV6ejguys comment, they were demanding performance figures.
But let's not start all that again.

Last edited:

rv6ejguy

I don't think he was spouting off performance numbers as much as new ideas.
Ánd I got to thinking, if interferance drag cuts lift on a bipe, why wouldn't it conversly help on a down- lifting surface (in addition to straightening out some wake). Some moderators were jumping on the stab. heavilly, (but that was just one of several ideas contained in the design) and ironic to RV6ejguys comment, they were demanding performance figures.
But let's not start all that again.
If you are saying you're going to cut drag substantially over existing designs, then it serves to reason, if you do, your design will perform better.

Why not just post your theories about a day before the first test flight. If you're right, we'll all be impressed and applaud your vision and ability. If you're wrong, at least you won't waste valuable design/build time defending a position on forums where you have no actual data to back up your hypothesis.

I for one, will applaud when the full scale prototype is built and first flies, regardless of technical outcome. That's an accomplishment in itself.

I can say the same things for new engine designs- build it, test it, give us the real numbers. Speculation and conjecture doesn't go very far in either discipline.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Here's the thing: You probably weren't out there telling everyone you had some great new ideas about plumbing, ideas that were going to make you the best plumber there ever was, once you actually started plumbing. While asking for money to help pay for the plumbing you were eventually going to do.

--Bob K.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened to me when I started my plumbing business. I was down to $7 in my entire life savings for over a week once, all I heard was people's ideas, from people who have never risked anything. Took me a long time but now I'm #1 in my demographic, not #5, or #17 but number freaking 1. People have no freaking clue what that takes and the stress on family it takes to achieve big goals, zero clue...

StarJar

Here's the thing: You probably weren't out there telling everyone you had some great new ideas about plumbing, ideas that were going to make you the best plumber there ever was, once you actually started plumbing. While asking for money to help pay for the plumbing you were eventually going to do.

--Bob K.
If you're excited about something you're going to talk about it.
He was invited to the forum.
The condemnations came before he asked for money.
He didn't indicate that he would be the greatest airplane designer ever, that I recall.
That's how I recall it.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Okay, I was going to let this go, but no.

What tests do you believe you'll be ready to begin this summer? What year do you currently anticipate the first flights to occur? Can you at least give us that much information?
To defend them here, it would be counterproductive to promise these dates. If they do and they miss them, then it calls the project into question, and it adds a lot of pressure and risk for no reward for them. It's not like we're investors and their success depends on pleasing us. It makes sense to just not answer these questions, IMO.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member

--Bob K.
You are most certainly correct. I was dead silent and in survival mode. As broke as I was in was busy plumbing for free because others couldn't afford it.

Here's the thing, people were critical of me even as I cried in silence. I had my wife though, we got through it.

What's the point of thrashing a guy even if he did? There's 2 sides to a coin, both are choices.

The comments by some here are uncalled for. Asbergers? Seriously?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
You think this thread is brutal, you should see the one we locked down. And no, I'm not providing a pointer. Anyone that interested can dig it up on search. To put it bluntly, these are the kind of threads we like to avoid here on HBA. It's one thing to be burned by a scammer yourself, and to post an objective and factual report of that experience. It's quite another to cry "scammer" when there is no definitive information on the subject. Doing so only accomplishes flame-wars.

I have no idea if Synergy is genius or snake-oil. Some of John's very limited descriptions of the technology make sense, others sound like I need my tin-foil hat adjusted. Orion, whose opinion on the subject I trusted more than anyone's, was very skeptical about the whole thing but he was willing to be convinced by an actual demonstration of a working aircraft. I can't imagine a better attitude to take towards John's effort. I didn't donate to the Kickstarter campaign because of my doubts regarding the technology and John's frustrating tendency to avoid answering basic, direct questions even when the answers wouldn't reveal any intellectual property. Sorry, John, but it happened right here in this thread, yet again.

The reality is that it doesn't much matter anymore. Nothing will be resolved by more "Opinions on the Internet™", although obviously everyone has one. The only thing that will settle the discussion is the Synergy prototype taking flight and being shown to the world, complete with flight test data. No more, no less. When this thread started, it had been two years since any clear progress had been made on the prototype. Another year has just about come and gone. I have not heard of the prototype flying, nor any word about any significant progress, nor any word about the "testing" John said was on tap for this past summer. While I may disagree with how the project spent its Kickstarter money, neither I nor anyone else but John and his team is in a position to say definitively what's going on with the aircraft. Some projects bog down at the systems stage, taking an inordinate amount of time to get through it, and that's a plain fact of homebuilding. On the other hand, if you can't deliver t-shirts and hats, you may also have project management issues of a rather serious nature.

The entire topic has become Schrödinger's Cat: Both genius and snake-oil, scam and aviation-saving future. The only way the wave-function collapses is when the prototype leaves the ground and enters flight testing. There is nothing to be said, positive or negative, that will make a whit of difference. When/if the airplane finally emerges from development, we'll find out. Until then, IMHO, it's best forgotten.

Last edited:

autoreply

Wow. The hatred on this thread is epic. Makes me want to shut down my own blog and eliminate my online presence in everything I do. I don't understand the hate here. Am I missing something?
Ideas that directly oppose established physics and science and asking for other peoples money.

In general, replies you get on HBA are almost a direct mirror of what you're proposing to achieve and what your attitude is towards criticism. Asking for money will increase scrutiny of your ideas quite a bit ;)

cheapracer

Log Member
I think I read Cheapracer throw out something about Asbergers Syndrome? I mean, this is completely out of control considering he's designing his own airplane.....which isn't completed.
I didn't take 100K of the public's money almost 4 years ago and have nothing to show - were you aware of that part?

Are you aware the project is trying to complete pretty much a completely furbished, final product up front?

You can also find my advice re that; build a single seat or two seater in fiberglass with a Rotax or Lyc to test and prove the theory. On what planet does someone try to build a full sized 5 seater radical "new idea" craft, with an obscure water cooled engine, with retracts and out of carbon fibre first time up - and again, using other's money entrusted to you.

In difference for example, I even use gal steel parts that I can throw away, and have done, and will do, at minimal cost when I need to redesign before calling in final materials, it's called prototyping. It's what you logically do.

I use my own time and money from my own pocket and things are going along just fine thanks - and I bother to document the process for all to see, warts and all - and having a great time.

Pedants often have some minor form of Aspergers (that comes at many varying levels). Just the facts Ma'am.

People have no freaking clue what that takes and the stress on family it takes to achieve big goals, zero clue. .
Actually there are a number of self made small business owners in this forum, at least 3 Members I know have "lost it all" and risen again, including me, and there's others lurking I'm sure. I know of others here who work their businesses pretty darn hard, and then, even at a different level, I'm certain there's dedicated Managers and Staff who give it their all.

So no, you're not unique.

Oh it's after 4am, finished my work by 3am tonight (multiple businesses), bed now for a few hours sleep. Wonder over to my build thread and see what time in the middle of the night I often post, it's usually the last thing I do for the day, or night. I'm a 14 to 18 hour a day work guy, 7 days a week.

I don't think that kind of pressure helps if you were a single individual trying to solve multiple problems.
I fare just fine.

Imagine every penny you have, and that you could borrow (before Go Fund Me) laid out in parts, and then people coming in and telling you your ideas are no good.
I'm on your wavelength believe it or not, but you are wrong to assume just because a person does it, it doesn't mean they deserve instant respect, exactly the opposite if the subject matter doesn't come up to scratch and destined to fail, and history has seen plenty.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I didn't take 100K of the public's money almost 4 years ago and have nothing to show - were you aware of that part?

Are you aware the project is trying to complete pretty much a completely furbished, final product up front?

You can also find my advice re that; build a single seat or two seater in fiberglass with a Rotax or Lyc to test and prove the theory. On what planet does someone try to build a full sized 5 seater radical "new idea" craft, with an obscure water cooled engine, with retracts and out of carbon fibre first time up - and again, using other's money entrusted to you.

In difference for example, I even use gal steel parts that I can throw away, and have done, and will do, at minimal cost when I need to redesign before calling in final materials, it's called prototyping. It's what you logically do.

I use my own time and money from my own pocket and things are going along just fine thanks - and I bother to document the process for all to see, warts and all - and having a great time.

Pedants often have some minor form of Aspergers (that comes at many varying levels). Just the facts Ma'am.

Actually there are a number of self made small business owners in this forum, at least 3 Members I know have "lost it all" and risen again, including me, and there's others lurking I'm sure. I know of others here who work their businesses pretty darn hard, and then, even at a different level, I'm certain there's dedicated Managers and Staff who give it their all.

So no, you're not unique.

Oh it's after 4am, finished my work by 3am tonight (multiple businesses), bed now for a few hours sleep. Wonder over to my build thread and see what time in the middle of the night I often post, it's usually the last thing I do for the day, or night. I'm a 14 to 18 hour a day work guy, 7 days a week.

I fare just fine.

I'm on your wavelength believe it or not, but you are wrong to assume just because a person does it, it doesn't mean they deserve instant respect, exactly the opposite if the subject matter doesn't come up to scratch and destined to fail, and history has seen plenty.
At least you did a great job of justifying the "Asbergers" comment. Well done. Clearly he must have taken your money given your words? Otherwise, why the hostility? Or are you looking out for people, like a Shepherd?

People are so predictable. Multiple businesses. Of course. And the old "I know 'this' many people" routine. Of course. Predictable.

How about stop slinging Asberger comments like freaking child? Let's start with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Group Builder