SX-300

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

HBA Supporter
There are several just east of here, at Spruce Creek. They fly formation everywhere that they go.

BJC

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Mark, is your friend the builder of that plane and if so what did he think of the "kit?"

Mark Z

My understanding is that you must be a toolmaker/builder if you are going after an SX. Doug Poli has built the majority of the ones flying and repairs and maintains several he didn’t. I think that 80 kits were produced and only 40 sets of landing gear. I wish Doug would take on an apprentice to keep the type alive. Doug did not build my friend’s but I’m told a new wing is in the fixture right now. That 24’ wing with full fuel and 2 fat boys eats up runway a 4000’ runway at 5000’ field elevation trying to make 100 knots of flying speed.46890E04-2FF7-45E6-AB9F-38A32DE4096B.jpeg

plncraze

HBA Supporter
100 knots! Wow. Bummer about the kits being what they were.

TFF

They are always cool to look at when at Oshkosh. Those and the Venture just look like a pain to put together without being a full time job. Wouldn’t ground speed be just ground speed?

Mark Z

We don’t have a TAS read out but we did a calculation on the GPS to figure we did have about a 5kt tailwind. It’s an awesome machine. I’ll post more when I learn more about it. I’ll try to get over and visit with Doug.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Ok, what was the IAS?

The SX is a **** sexy bird - certainly a step above my Rocket - but I've seen 250 knots GS in mine (and at 2/3 the fuel flow)

Mark Z

I’d love to fly the Venture. I’d love messing with those guys at HBHQ the year they were a featured airplane. I’d check in the SX guys and tell them that the Venture guys said they were faster and tell the Venture guys the SX guys said they were faster….
If it don’t stink, stir it.

TFF

I did that once to a trio of F-18s that had come through at the FBO next to my old airline hangar. We would go look at whatever was cool over there. Told them the Air Force really showed off when they took off. The Navy guys got the hint.

edwisch

I've flown three different Ventures. They're fine X-C machines but not sport planes. Not sure how well they could handle ice with the sharp leading edge on the horizontal tail.

Mark Z

I have a Questair Venture and love it. It’s a pain to work on but nothing can touch the speed and efficiency. The Venture does SX300 speeds on 280 hp and stalls 10 knots slower. Coming back from Oshkosh I was getting 230ktas on 10.5 gph at 15.5.
I understand that you can still get Venture kits. Are there many serious and current builders out in the wild? I do know that a Venture build requires a huge skill in compound curvature.