Quantcast

Swaged Studs on Control Cables.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Deuelly

Log Member
The one I remember at A&P school was a big pneumatic one that hammered two female dies together around the swage with about the same force (and noise!!!) as a jackhammer. There was no "rolling" or smooth peaceful pleasant squeezing. It was a violent and dangerous process, the instructors were terrified that we would swage our hands and fingers off!
This is what I have. About $6500 new without dies.

Brandon products-at520j.jpg

Deuelly

Log Member
Yowza! How fast does this slap the dies together? And even more astounding: how much air flow does it take? [Alternatively - do you have a pointer to a tech description?]

Brian W
Here is a link. I bought mine and about 30 different dies at an old Northwest action for about $200.

Brandon

BrianW

Hydraulics is so 20th century. All you need is some detonation cord ;)

It works for nuclear weapons - why not?
I see detonating cord can be bought on the retail market, though I didn't find an online source; primaline comes in various powers - perhaps Primaline #1 ?? <g>

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Growing up with Grandfather on his farm drilling companies started drilling NG wells about everywhere. Grandfather owned 1/16th of a NG well about 100 yds from the house. When drilling the companies would drill areas and set off charges for seismographs. After they left the area you could find lots of primer caps and miles of wire. So I had a steady supply for several years. Found a lot of fun uses for the primer caps.

As an apprentice in the 1960's I had to learn how to make wire rope choker eyes by hand, no other way.

I have a chapter in my manuscripts of my book about the time when I was 12 years old when my father left instruction to my first cousin that was living with us and a neighbor cousin ( 15 and 16 years old) and me about a water cistern he wanted us to make that was to have a 3' dia opening and a 12' wide bowl and 19' deep in solid rock that started about 5' down. He left and would be back in a few weeks and wanted it finished when he came back and left us with a case of dynamite and a paper bag of primer caps and a spool of primer cord. What could go wrong ? Grandfather stayed out at the barn building something the whole time.

Geraldc

As an apprentice in the 1960's I had to learn how to make wire rope choker eyes by hand, no other way.
Out in the field we used a Flemish splice with a long tail and insulation tape to keep going when a rope broke as a temporary repair.
Also I wonder if this is a better idea before nicopressing?
1603672493686.png

AdrianS

Out in the field we used a Flemish splice with a long tail and insulation tape to keep going when a rope broke as a temporary repair.
Also I wonder if this is a better idea before nicopressing?
View attachment 103432
I spent some time as a rigger's mate & dogman long ago. I used to be able to splice eyes & long splices in wire rope - I still have a set of fids somewhere.
Used to cut my fingers to shreds - now I stick to bits of rope for the boat.

But I think I've gone far enough off topic...

BJC

HBA Supporter
You put the sleeve on the rope first .
I took your question to be one of placing a Nicopress sleeve over the interwoven splice. That would dictate a stop sleeve rather than an oval sleeve. What size stop sleeve would you propose using over a splice in 1/8” wire?

BJC

wktaylor

Recent example of a catastrophic cable termination failure... Arecibo radio telescope secondary cable failure. Looked to some like a termination failure.

The iconic Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico has gone dark, at least for a little while.

One of the telescope's supporting cables snapped early Monday morning (Aug. 10), ripping a 100-foot-long (30 meters) gash in the giant radio dish, according to the University of Central Florida (UCF). The observatory has been shut down while engineers assess the damage and formulate a fix.

BrianW

A Nicopress sleeve would not fit over the splice. Splicing, like lacing wire bundles, is a vanishing skill.

BJC
A flemish eye, also known as a farmers' eye has a loop of full cable diameter, and a tail of full cable diameter, so that a nicopress WILL fit over the main line AND the tail. The eye is formed very simply; by unwinding three strands of a seven strand cable e.g. 7 X 19 and winding these three strands back over the four strand loop in the opposite direction until the eye is closed, then rewinding these same three strands back on the four strands to form a full diameter bitter end which should be secured tidily to the main line.
Brian W

Deuelly

Log Member
A Nicopress sleeve would not fit over the splice. Splicing, like lacing wire bundles, is a vanishing skill.

BJC
All the P-40 control cables are hand braided. Once you get good at it it takes about 30 minutes to do one end. It's not fast but looks amazing when your done.

Brandon

Latest posts