Suzuki SV650 Engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

1684zach

I am thinking about using a Suzuki SV650 engine on the plane I am currently building. They have a very solid reputation for reliability; and after a lot of research with my brother (a motorcycle guru), I think it has the best reputation, weight, HP, liquid cooled and '03 and after are all fuel injected. I will lock it in the gear I calculate to give the best prop RPM and strip the rest of the gears to save more weight. Any one have thoughts or concerns I might have overlooked-? I have spent the last few years asking lots of questions and doing a tremendous amount of research on this subject. If this works, I may use the big brother of the SV650, the SV1000 and mount it on my next project- CH750

-Zach

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
I am planning to make a dampener to go between the prop hub and the transmission. I have used this on a much smaller scale in the paramotors I have built using small four cycle engines.
The Jetski version of this engine has a rubber damper and cast metal hub. I would bet the tapered output shaft is the same. You could use those parts to get a rubber output damper. I am looking at the jetski engine as is or with the newer electronic fuel and oil injection added on for my direct drive concept.

1684zach

The Jetski version of this engine has a rubber damper and cast metal hub. I would bet the tapered output shaft is the same. You could use those parts to get a rubber output damper. I am looking at the jetski engine as is or with the newer electronic fuel and oil injection added on for my direct drive concept.
Can you put up a link to something that shows the engine-? I can't find, and had no idea that there was a jet ski version! But that sounds like what I need, with minimal effort involved.

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
Kawasaki 650 SX TS SC X2 JM Motor Engine Jetski Jet Ski - eBay (item 270627561214 end time Feb-23-11 07:19:55 PST)

KAWASAKI JETSKI JS 650SX 650 DRIVESHAFT DRIVE SHAFT -93 - eBay (item 190316006100 end time Feb-10-11 17:57:11 PST)

Kawasaki 750/800 Jet Ski Rubber Drive Shaft Damper - eBay (item 320604934162 end time Feb-14-11 15:46:55 PST)

I gotta be a dope to give away my secrets! :)

The Jetski setup including exhaust, coupler, and driveshaft (modified to hold prop flange an thrust/radial bearing/housing all combine to make a nice direct drive. I would look at snowmobile final drives for off the shelf parts for a belt drive reduction unit. Same basic motor. These are all already made to fit in tight spaces and to be water cooled.

Toobuilder

Log Member
Am I missing something, or does the fact that one engine is a Suzuki (SV 650) and the other a Kawi (650 SX) make a difference to the final drive?

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
Am I missing something, or does the fact that one engine is a Suzuki (SV 650) and the other a Kawi (650 SX) make a difference to the final drive?
I have been looking at Jet Ski plants. Substitute Tigershark PWC 650 for Suzuki same, same.

1684zach

I actually have the Kawasaki 650 engine. The problem is, it is two stroke and on the heavy end of what I need. I like the Suzuki because it is four cycle, VERY reliable cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, light, and it has my "psru" built in already.

1684zach

I actually just stumbled over this in a separate thread:

Nouvelle page 1

I have been searching for several years to see if I would be the first to use this engine, but it looks like this guy beat me to it. Now, if only I spoke Bulgarian.

1684zach

I would be concerned about heat build up in the chain.

Richard
I don't think I will use a chain. I was thinking more of coming straight out of the transmission with a torsional dampener, then the prop hub. I just posted that link to show the exact engine I was thinking of using, and that someone has already beat me to the punch.