• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Suzuki Motorbike engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divad_strebor

Has anyone looked into converting motorbike engines for aircraft use? I have a handfull of suzuki's in my shed, including a 1985 GSX 1100. I was looking at this motor the other day, and I don't think it would be too difficult to mount the top end and the crank onto a custom crankcase with a belt reduction drive (or similar)

Specs from memory are:

1135cc aircooled DOHC 16 valve.
118PS @flywheel @ 11,000ish (I've been told PS equates almost exactly to BHP)
Weight, I don't know... I can lift it off the floor, but need a helper to get it onto my workbench. But thats with the gearbox. I think the head weighs a bit though...

Its just a thought that I've had... I have no intention of butchering this engine (nor any others that I have in my shed at the moment) but if its feasable it may be an option for future reference. There are more modern engines around that produce MUCH more power in a lighter package, but these are usually liquid cooled, which means more things to go wrong IMO...

Back