• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Suzuki G13 weight warning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapracer

A few days ago I bought a few engines to play with from the local car scrap yard.

One of them was a 'layover' sumped, Suzuki G13, obviously Chinese version fitted to many mini vans here.

You have seen these same engines offered by a couple of auto conversion companies who are quoting under 80kgs/180lbs for them.

While I am not here to doubt their claims, today I put the G13 on my scales to be stunned by the 99.9 kg reading (no I did not make that figure up for dramatic effect). I couldn't take a picture of the reading as I needed both hands to lift it myself carefully onto the glass scales and balance it on the knife edge of the pan.

Yes my engine has the flywheel on still and an engine mount, but no starter motor, and you need to add a driveplate (auto trans flywheel) and a whole darn redrive.

So I am struggling to believe their weight claims and I warn those people interested in one to make **** sure you see the actual completed, ready to go weight on a set of scales before you hand your money over, rather than what the advert says. Possibly a vertical G13 with tin sump pan and no redrive or starter might get close to 80kgs, but that wouldn't be reasonable advertising in my mind.

Was disappointing as I was considering these as an interim motor for my own project and what a great choice at 80kgs, but there are better choices at sub 100kg level.

Attachments

• G13 weight 2.jpg
    G13 weight 2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 202
Back