surplus fighter pilots helmets

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

fly_boy_bc

Hi all!

I need a helmet. Helmets are required in Canada to fly basic ultralights and I do not have a headset yet either so I am considering purchasing a surplus fighter pilots helmet with integral headset. I am NOT talking about some vintage 1960's MIG helmet but 1980's-1990's NOS units that are sometimes quite reasonably priced considering they come with headphones and mic.(200$-300$)

Am I nuts? I am a whiz with a soldering iron so I am not too worried about connectors but I have no idea if the mic and speakers would be compatible with modern civil radios. Would they have active noise cancelling?

Any thoughts?

unmanned

The problem you'll come across is an impedance mismatch. But then again, you could make a circuit to match the impedance and it could work. Most of the time they come with an oxygen mask, which you don't really need, so personally i'd go with a used helicopter helmet, with a leather muff cover (see oregon aero for those) and an adapter to convert the combined plug helicopter use to the dual GA plugs (the adapter is widely available).

TFF

There are impedance match boxes you can buy too. We wear helicopter ones in an Aircam, but wearing them in a Cessna makes you feel a little geeky.

SVSUSteve

If you're looking for a helmet for impact protection in the event of a crash, I would look for a surplus helmet designed to meet the US Army's helicopter helmet standards. As I understand it, they have a higher standard so far as protection is concerned against impact as opposed to the fixed-wing aircraft variant.

Todney1

Hi all!

I need a helmet. Helmets are required in Canada to fly basic ultralights and I do not have a headset yet either so I am considering purchasing a surplus fighter pilots helmet with integral headset. I am NOT talking about some vintage 1960's MIG helmet but 1980's-1990's NOS units that are sometimes quite reasonably priced considering they come with headphones and mic.(200$-300$)

Am I nuts? I am a whiz with a soldering iron so I am not too worried about connectors but I have no idea if the mic and speakers would be compatible with modern civil radios. Would they have active noise cancelling?

Any thoughts?
You can find new ones here : Campbell Aero Classics NZ Ltd

Latest posts