Supernormalized Renesis

Discussion in 'Mazda Rotary' started by Streffpilot, Aug 14, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 14, 2011 #1

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

I think my brain has had a meltdown:tired:: I am thinking about "supernormalizing" the Renesis engine:shock:. Is this even possible. The idea is to use a by-passable positive displacement type blower (roots type...probably an eaton m90) fed to an intercooler that then sends air to the engine. If my thinking is correct, and it probably isn't, this would eliminate the complex N/A intake, while not over-boosting the Renesis engine. Also, the supercharger being a positive displacement blower would in theory produce more boost than is needed by the engine at all rpm levels, eliminating the "peeky" torque of boosted engines. The excess (above standard intake) pressure would be controlled via an automatic or manual waste-gate. Please shoot my idea down if it is insane, but i would like some constructive criticism if it is available.

2. Aug 14, 2011 #2

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

Is there a reason you'd prefer a super charger over a turbo charger? An over sized turbo charger will also make available more boost than "needed". The rotary with it's very hot exhaust is a natural for a turbo.

3. Aug 14, 2011 #3

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

I want to get the exhaust out of the cowl ASAP after leaving the engine. I know the SC produces heat, but it itself is not heat soaked from 1.5K plus egt.........

4. Aug 16, 2011 #4

SHIPCHIEF

SHIPCHIEF

SHIPCHIEF

I wanted to make sure I got the full 200 HP that Van's allows for the RV-8, plus the exhaust system of a Mazda Rotary must be very robust or it will burn out, crack, etc.
    So I built a short stout 321 SS exhaust Y manifold with interior exhaust port liner cones to support a Turbonetics 60-1 turbocharger. The job of the turbo is to quiet the shattering loud exhaust and add power. I hope it will add enough to make Vne on the engine, and climb like a WWII fighter. :)
    I can add an intercooler later if I need one. Testing will determine the need at the low boost I require.
    As for a supercharger, I would think the Eaton which has a recirc port is a good idea. I just wonder how much power it will take from the crankshaft to run it while in cruise mode? Even then, you will still need the robust exhaust system with muffler.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. Aug 16, 2011 #5

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

Out of curiousity where/how do you plan to mount the super charger?

6. Sep 7, 2011 #6

SHIPCHIEF

SHIPCHIEF

SHIPCHIEF

I own a Mazda rotary in an RV-8. I have not flown it yet, but I have about 5 hours of ground running.

I have redesigned many parts over the years, especially the cooling system, and the turbo lube supply and drain lines.
    I have the alternator on the spark plug side of the engine, but would put a Eaton blower there, where the engine is fairly flat, of course, considering the spark plugs stick out of the side of the block behind the Eaton....
    But it is the closest place to nest the supercharger, wanting to keep the drive belt short. ALSO, there are a couple of good bolt pads in this area that might be good mount points for brackets.

7. Dec 16, 2011 #7

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

slociviccoupe

the problem I see with using a roots blower over a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo is if the belt comes off the engine stops.... you can't pull air through a positive displacement roots type supercharger. we ran across this problem when we wanted to supercharge a lycoming and went procharger instead. with a rotary engine soo much fuel is spent out the exhaust that it only makes sense to put a turbo on it to make use of the hot exhaust gasses. that and to quiet the thing down they are very very loud. and a turbo you will be able to have wastegate controll to give you added hp during takeoff and climb while turning the boost down in altitude to normalize and not over boost.