Quantcast

Supermarine Southampton ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

Is there anything similar to a super marine Southampton out there in a 50% or even a 33% kit ?

Even just the general “look” ?

Tiger Tim

What part of the Southampton do you want, a biplane flying boat, a twin, three vertical tails, or the 75 foot wingspan?

Victor Bravo

The "Two Wings Mariner" ultralight flying boat that had been flown by Harvey Cleveland (several YouTube videos available) is the only small homebuilt along those lines that I'm aware of.

Pilot-34

The "Two Wings Mariner" ultralight flying boat that had been flown by Harvey Cleveland (several YouTube videos available) is the only small homebuilt along those lines that I'm aware of.
Awesome little plane I want the version with the pedestal mounted twin machine guns !

304 empty weight ? Wow

Pilot-34

Lol i’m not sure I’m up to landing on just one tire .
Biplane 37 1/2 foot wingspan two small engines Etc

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I have long wanted to build an original design inspired by the Supermarine Walrus just to see the reaction from all the Pitts drivers over at the Biplane Forum! In all seriousness, an LSA or microlight biplane pusher amphibian could be great fun and even fold the wings for storage or transport. Imagine something like this scaled down with a Verner radial or even a small LyCon uncowled pusher.

Supermarine_Walrus_I_N2301_(G-AIZG)_(6858967069).jpg

TFF

I think the Pitts drivers don’t care about a small one because they are flying the real ones for the museums.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Just for fun...

Normal gross weight on a Walrus was 7,200 lb, so 1/6 of that for a light two-seater is 1,200 lb. Taking a known quantity light two-seater for reference, a J-3 Cub has a wing loading of about 7 lb/sq ft, a Super Cub closer to 10 lb per square foot, so we'll go with 8, which means 150 sq ft of wing area, plus 25% to account for biplane interference so our actual wing area needs to be about 188 sq ft. The real Walrus had a whopping 610 sq ft of wing area, so our light plane only needs 31% as much wing, so about 56% scale. A Verner Scarlett 5si gives us 83 hp for take off and 78 hp continuous in a package as light as an A-65 which ought to do just fine. That gives us these rough numbers:

MINI-WALRUS

Span: 25' 8"
Length: 21'
Height: 8' 6"
Folded width: 9' 10"
Wing area: 188 sq ft
Gross weight: 1,200 lb
Power: 83 hp

HBA concept sketches (4).jpg

flitzerpilot

Hi Matt,

FYI a scaled Walrus replica was built in the UK many years ago, using Wot wing panels with a 90 hp. direct-drive Salmson 5AQ installed. That would have spanned about 23'. Sadly I believe the builder died so I'm pretty sure that it was never completed, certainly it never flew. Of the two known Salmson 5As imported into the UK, I had one which was destined for my earlier KFZ Tigerfalk aerobatic biplane and the other appeared in the Walrus project. The Tigerfalk is now with a keen Flitzer builder and aircraft restorer and he has acquired the other Salmson for that project. The Salmson was a fine looking engine with the same architectural grace as the geared Rotec R2800, but the Verners now provides a wide range of opportunities, so both the 5Si and 7U are perfect substitutes, the former being the intended power plant for the Flitter-Laird (illustrated by my icon) with another Laird project in the USA to be equipped with a Rotec.

Riggerrob

Closest kitplane is the Super Petrel biplane flying boat made in Brazil It carries two adults and is powered by a Rotax engine. The only stylistic disadvantage is its retractable tricycle landing gear.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I think it would be great fun to use modern “stitch-and-glue” or “tack-and-tape” plywood boatbuilding techniques to make a traditional-looking original design amphibian inspired by the Walrus or the Shavrov Sh-2 or perhaps blending elements of them both. Even if you never head off into the wilderness, the idea of a plane that could take two people and their camping gear almost anywhere on water or land stirs the imagination.

PTAirco

Of all the quirkier WW2 airplanes, this has always been my favorite and I spent many hours doodling up something similar, which will never see the light of day. A long time ago I spent a few days volunteering at the RAF museum in Hendon, where I could drool over this to my heart's content. That and the Stranraer.