Sunglass Lenses ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Angusnofangus

My favorite too, until I wanted to buy another pair recently and their prices had been adjusted to match Ray Ban and the other big names. Unfortunately their reorganized company won't sell you lenses to support their "legacy" frames.
I bought a new pair out four years ago, I seem to remember they were about $100. To bad I didn't glom onto more when the service was giving them out like Halloween candy.

Martin W

Probably irrelevant today , but in 1980 I bought the official RayBan Aviator glasses ... very expensive so I made sure I did not lose them.

Wore them for 40 years , often all day long. Lenses were tempered glass that did not scratch ... lenses were not super dark which I prefer .... gold plated metal frames which I sat on and abused many times but they could be bent back into shape with no problem. Nose piece was very comfortable to wear all day.

At the time I flinched at the price but it turns out cheaper than if I had bought multitudes of low-cost ones thru all those years.

And yes ... I finally did lose them somewhere.

EDIT to add ..... out of curiosity I looked it up and the aviator classics are still available ... $263 but promo at $198 ..... not bad .... I paid $160 in 1980.

Last edited:

Mark Z

I don’t have much difficulty keeping up with my cheaters and sunglasses so I’ve been considering these:
but I just haven’t bit the bullet due the cost.
I need cheaters and have been wearing these:
cheap safety glasses throughout my flying career.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I bought some sunglasses with built-in reading lenses ("1.5”) on the lower portion a few years ago. I don't recall the generic brand, but they were neutral grey, not too dark, and claimed to block UV. They cut the glare and I can still read the small print on a chart/tablet. I didn't pay much for them, but they work quite well.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Ray Ban neutral-gray polarized.

Sorry, I've heard all the arguments against polarized, and I don't agree. I don't fly glass cockpit, so that's not an issue for me and my personal experience has been the exact opposite to the "conventional wisdom" - I see other traffic much easier with polarized lenses than non-polarized. And, since cloud details are a bigger deal to me as a soaring pilot, polarized are better for me there, too.

Maybe if I were flying LCD-screen-equipped airplanes, I'd feel differently, but I don't. My hand-held radio and my cell phone are the only screens I use when flying, and my polarized lenses don't "black out" or otherwise interfere with either of those.

Charliesolo

HBA Supporter
The American Optical sunglasses that used to be issued by the US Navy and Air Force (maybe they still issue them) have been my favourites for over 50 years. Non-polarized so they don't mess up video screens and they don't really darken much, just cut glare.View attachment 115076
+++ on American Optical

I have been wearing these for 30+ years since my Air Force days. I now use them with the stick on readers in the lower portion.

But..what is the deal about pricing on these? I always paid about $40-60 for these. My most recent pair was purchased from Amazon in 2018 for $55. But they now cost almost $200!!! For the exact same thing! I never worried about taking especially good care of mine, would just buy more when necessary. I now treat my two pair like gold! I would love to hear from American Optical how they justify this! [/rant off/]

Tiger Tim

Sorry, I've heard all the arguments against polarized, and I don't agree.
I’m surprised the guy with the sailplane in his avatar feels that way. I’ve come across a couple canopies (on powered aircraft, I admit) that didn’t agree with polarized lenses, they looked like they had an oil film on them. I don’t know if it was the material used or the process to make it but I doubt the canopies were polarized on purpose as all they really did was show where the stress was on them with a sort of rainbow sheen. I guess I expected that problem to be prevalent in gliders too.

Hephaestus

Polarized is my preference...

But there's more to screens and polarized than meets the eye - there's an angle factor... I've got a pair of cheap polarized glasses for the mooney; that I can't use in the cirrus, and an 80s vintage pair of polarized raybans that are the complete opposite - useless in the mooney, fine in the cirrus.

Ipad screens is a different matter - landscape they're always black, portrait - depends on angle - my so far experience anyway...

in other words, grab a handful try and see what works for you.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
In 20 years of flying a variety of airplanes the polarized lenses are more trouble than they are worth. Anywhere there is a screw near the plexi, you can see the distorion. Was horrible on the Hiperbipe and Taylorcraft- not as bad on the blown bubble of the RV and Rocket. And yes, avionics screens are all over the map concerning readability - anywhere from blacked out to perfectly fine. I now use transition lenses with my prescription "driving/flying" glasses. Thats the solution for me.

As for pure sunglasses - I have found an undeniable correlation between aquision cost and span of ownership: the high cost ones are lost/destroyed almost immediately, while the WalMart specials never die. $15 bucks is now my upper price limit for sunglasses.

Reminds me of the Ron White comedy bit: "...why do sunglasses cost more than a 25" flat screen television?..."

Last edited: