Sunglass Lenses ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bille Floyd

Three questions here :
1) What sunglass lenses, do you guys like Best ?
2) And Why ?

For flying , I go with brown ; but for water sports , i go with brown
polarized, because the glare from the water, gives me a headache.

I'm about to have some prescription lenses made for my Serengeti
Wanamaker, 8664 sunglasses , (they are the wrap-around type)

3) and i see G15 lenses, along with G15 polarized as an option ; don't know anything about them
and was wondering if anyone here , uses them ?

SERENGETI WANAMAKER 8664 .png

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

G15 is a neutral gray lens which has been my favorite for 40+ yrs of flying. Tried the amber color early on and didn't like it. Might be okay now as my eyes have aged and need more light to function. Polarization doesn't work well with electrically heated windshield and many polarized video screens / displays.

gtae07

I buy cheap sunglasses (and cheap reading glasses) because they get abused/dropped/thrown/scratched--they fall out of the car, fall off my head, get thrown by the kid, etc. Lately I've bought bulk packs of tinted impact-rated safety glasses and get good use of them in the car and other places.
The set I have in the minivan were cheap polarized blue-ish lenses off Amazon; they're decent for driving but they're rather worn out and scuffed up at this point. I need to replace them.

I have heard many places that polarized lenses are not recommended for flying. Supposedly they may cut back on the "glint" you might get off another aircraft that would help you see it in time.
Having flown with polarized lenses, at least local VFR, they do seem to give a little more clarity to clouds and stuff when the sun is in my face or I'm looking farther off at clouds I'm flying towards. However, they do interfere with the displays on some avionics and make them "black out" depending on the angle my head is at. I've noticed this in the car as well, plus funny patterns in the windows that have UV tint etc.

So, something with good UV protection and adequate tint, but no polarization, would probably be best.

My wife had a good experience with Marvel Optics for her glasses; she was able to get impact-rated, auto-tinting safety glasses that looked like normal glasses at a surprisingly good price (well under "standard" glasses pricing from the local store).

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Never wore sun glasses in my life. Never felt a need.

Angusnofangus

The American Optical sunglasses that used to be issued by the US Navy and Air Force (maybe they still issue them) have been my favourites for over 50 years. Non-polarized so they don't mess up video screens and they don't really darken much, just cut glare.OP_c01_BTCL_GNN-a-GBR-1-300x100.jpg

WonderousMountain

My favorite ones are ambre-brown tint for contrast,
It picks out the foliage better and cuts harsh rays,
However, the clamp ons for self shading medical
lens'. Tend to get misplaced as an eventuality.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Billy, as a soaring pilot surely you heard about the Suntiger orange glasses. They were the first of the bright orange " you can have the superhuman vision of a hawk !" glasses, and were all the rage in the mid 1980's in soaring. I went off and got a pair, and sure enough they DID do what they promised. You could see more detail further away, more contrast, see the outline of clouds better, etc. etc.

We all thought it would be a game-changer in soaring contests, but for some reason I never won the nationals because of those glasses o_O

I think about getting a pair of glasses in my prescription and sending them off to this company for adding the color (they might still exist somewhere), but I'm afraid my wife would be very upset about me bringing field mice home for dinner...

Bille Floyd

My favorite ones are ambre-brown tint for contrast,
It picks out the foliage better and cuts harsh rays,
My Serengeti Wanamaker, 8664 sunglasses , pick out foliage
also ; But they are wrap-around to cut sunlight out from my
peripheral vision , and they are also Photochromic Lenses
going from brown , to espresso dark brown. I Really like
the Wanamaker ; but after using the prescription sunglasses
that the VA paid for yesterday, (it appears i Like the modified vision
that prescription give me better). Glad i found a place to
cut me prescription lenses, for my Serengeti's :) ; too bad i'm
getting old, and need a prescription now !! :(

I buy cheap sunglasses (and cheap reading glasses) because they get abused/dropped/thrown/scratched--they fall out of the car, fall off my head, get thrown by the kid, etc. ...
The UV damage to the eyes , along with the migraine headache's
i get from water glare ; that is the reason i buy the expensive ones.
They have a headband off the ear pieces, so i can drop them
to my neck inside stores ; they also go back into their cases
the moment i take them off.

KIDS
My Dad flew airplanes , and I got beaten a few times for just
touching his aviator sunglasses, back in the 60's ; I learned
to Not touch them !

Bille

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
The American Optical sunglasses that used to be issued by the US Navy and Air Force (maybe they still issue them) have been my favourites for over 50 years. Non-polarized so they don't mess up video screens and they don't really darken much, just cut glare.View attachment 115076
Can't even find mine anymore. Somebody probably took them. Not my prescription anyway, so I guess it's just as well.

Bille Floyd

I think about getting a pair of glasses in my prescription and sending them off to this company for adding the color (they might still exist somewhere), but I'm afraid my wife would be very upset about me bringing field mice home for dinner...
LOL !!!

challenger_II

AO Amber. Cuts glare, and you can see things in hazy conditions that you never knew were there! Found this out with a pair of AN-6530 Aviator Goggles, when I switched from the green lenses to the amber.
If having prescription glasses cut, have the speck peddler make them in plain amber tint, the same quality as the old-fashion shooting glasses. Avoid polarized lenses like the Plague, no matter how much the speck peddler recommends them. As has been mentioned, LCD displays and polarized lenses do NOT play well together.

The American Optical sunglasses that used to be issued by the US Navy and Air Force (maybe they still issue them) have been my favourites for over 50 years. Non-polarized so they don't mess up video screens and they don't really darken much, just cut glare.View attachment 115076

Angusnofangus

Can't even find mine anymore. Somebody probably took them. Not my prescription anyway, so I guess it's just as well.
I bought a new pair a couple of years ago. While driving put them on over my readers that I use for that. My wife thinks I look goofy wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time, but, hey, it works for me.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My favorite too, until I wanted to buy another pair recently and their prices had been adjusted to match Ray Ban and the other big names. Unfortunately their reorganized company won't sell you lenses to support their "legacy" frames.

cvairwerks

Been running Green #4++ tint for the last 15 years or so, which is supposed to be as dark as one can get. Even that isn't dark enough for my needs. Had some that were the smoke gray tint and they were terrible for me.

rv7charlie

I try to avoid polarized, for the reasons mentioned. Some LCD displays just disappear when viewed through polarizing lenses. I've been buying all my glasses for at least a decade from Zenni.com. If you are young (or vain) enough to use single vision lenses, they almost pay you to take them. They're so cheap, Zenni has almost made my wife the Imelda of glasses and sunglasses. And when my eye doc checks them on their equipment, they're always spot-on the prescription. They do have a 'tint' option to add to regular glasses, avoiding the polarized models.

I've used 'Blue Blockers' (yellow lenses) back when I was wearing single vision contacts, and they really worked to cut through haze, but I found them a bit frustrating because of the color shift. More an irritant than a real complaint.

I wish I could find non-polorized flipups for my regular glasses; I need the 'shade' to go away while I'm reading details on the EFIS chart function, etc.

As others have said, most eye docs will tell you to always wear some kind of UV blocking glasses any time you're outside.

Tiger Tim

Cheap-O non-polarized browns for me.

Cheap because they’ll just get lost/damaged, non-polarized so they play nice with screens and canopies, brown lenses for the shading of grey with the contrast of orange.