• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sun-n-Fun U/Ls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
Here's my report on Sun-n-Fun. Since this is The Light Stuff forum, I'll only talk about the U/Ls. There were few U/Ls. If you only counted the ones that would really pass the speed limit and stall speed limit, there were very few. If you count all the ones that make the weight limit, there were several. Two really impressed me:

John Moody's Easy Riser was very impressive with its extreme light weight and low speed. And its control system was amazing, with a twist grip in each hand for each rudder, and weight shift for pitch control. Yet it had no moveable seat. You just shift your weight in the seat. That plane has been around for years. So it's not a big deal to those who've studied it. But it was the first time I had seen it.

The other plane that was most impressive was the ZJ-Viera:
http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjviera.htm
The tail dragger version was especially striking. It sat so low that one wing was on the grass, and you could just see a little light under the other one. It is amazingly light and small. It has many innovations, and is an engineering masterpiece. They are selling it for $20K, including the engine and prop... which is an excellent deal, when you consider the cost (and labor) of completing other U/L kits.

Its fiberglass structures were amazingly creative. That engine mount snout, that you can see in the pictures is a good example. That's not a cowl over the structure. It is the structure. It is a continuation of the main fuselage structure that goes under the seat, between your feet, and then up to the engine.

The control system is unique too. The yoke turns for aileron control. But instead of pulling and pushing the whole yoke for pitch control, only the top of it moves forward and aft. So the yoke tilts. The fairing and windshield for the pilot look like they might be removable for open cockpit flying. I would recommend this plane to everyone. It's a much better plane than I could ever build. I took some pictures of it.

The Nova-1 U/L is also worthy of mention. While it isn't that unusual in design or structure, it looks very good, and is amazingly low priced. They were just fixing to try an MZ201 engine on it. I like the clean, fully fiberglass sheeted wings. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I spoke to the designer of one well known U/L brand that I've always been impressed with. I don't want to mention a name here. Talking about engine choices, he made it clear that he doesn't care at all about passing the speed limit. His customers want to make the weight limit. So he makes his U/L design pass that. But as far as he's concerned, the FAA doesn't enforce the speed (nor stall speed) limit. So he doesn't care about that at all.

I was disappointed in that cavalier attitude. I agree that the FAA does not have the manpower to enforce part 103 operations. But if you're going to advertise your plane as a part 103 U/L, then it should really pass ALL the limits... and not just claim compliance in the specification sheet. Buyer be ware of all the U/L kits. Choosing a small engine might make some kits legal... But be prepared for the poorer climb rate that goes with that choice... if you care about being completely legal.

My Lucky 2 U/L was a big hit, and won the U/L Innovations plaque. Many were surprised how stable it was in flight. I flew it twice a day Tuesday through Saturday.

Attachments

• SFAir2.jpg
    SFAir2.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 236
  • ZJ1.jpg
    ZJ1.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 331
  • ZJ2.jpg
    ZJ2.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 419
  • ER1.jpg
    ER1.jpg