Sun n Fun 2021

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Any cool homebuilts there? If you have pictures please share!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yesterday there was a T-6 and a DC-3 that flew over heading north. Guess going home from Sun n Fun.

BJC

HBA Supporter
What has been the airplane topics hanging out?
Got home a few hours ago, and my wife asked what was new. There must have been something, but nothing that caught my attention.

There were some engines that I had not noticed before, but I don’t waste time talking to engines’ vendors until they show up with an actual flying version.

The overall turnout was good, especially considering the weather patterns across the eastern USA.

Warbird turnout was down, but the examples there were pristine.

Just as the Blue Angles concluded a practice session, the Thunderbirds made a pass down the runway in a seven plane V. Looked great.

There was an Aerolite 103 in static display with a small battery and el3ctric motor.

The STOL competition demo was well orchestrated and well announced. No dead time and some very good flying was viewed up close.

Meanwhile, the main airshow was full of discontinuities, including departures and arrivals of multiple Amazon transports. Amazon Prime has built a huge distribution center at the NW end of runway 9.

If you have driven in on County Line Road, you now may be surprised to see that the strawberry fields have been transformed into warehouses and commercial buildings.

A few people wore masks the first few days.

Not all previous vendors were there. Some of the old standards said that their attendance was uncertain until the last minute.

Although it was not like recent SnF events, it was enjoyable.

You should have been there.

BJC

TFF

I would have loved to come. Never been to SnF. Considering all, sounded pretty good.

robertl

I flew in with a couple of friends in a Cessna 182, I was back seat on the way down, pretty dang comfortable, front seat on the way back to S.C. We were IFR for about 45 min. going down and maybe an hour coming back Sat. We had to lay over Fri night in Ocala with some other SnF'ers. I'm not, and will never be IFR certified, but the other two pilots were but the consensus was that we were tired, it's 10:00 pm and we still have about 3 hrs. to go so we decided to stay put. Lisa at the FBO stayed over past closing time to help us get rooms. Had to book two different Hotels in order to get all three of us a place to sleep. A hot shower and a good bed made things better the next day and we were off by about 11:00 am. Vendors were not as prolific as in the past but there was still plenty to look at. The main one I was interested in, Uavionix, had pulled out and I Fly took their spot. I was told they, I Fly, had some good stuff coming for A/V, so I may wait and see. All in all, it was good, but as you know, you can't see it all in one day. The pilot and plane owner had never been so it was mostly a trip for him to get introduced to big flyins. I did learn something important, when going that far from home, always, ALWAYS, take an over night bag.
Bob

Daleandee

I flew in with a couple of friends in a Cessna 182, I was back seat on the way down, pretty dang comfortable, front seat on the way back to S.C. We were IFR for about 45 min. going down and maybe an hour coming back Sat.
Actually got back this Monday afternoon. Went with a friend VFR and seen the rain coming. Got out Saturday afternoon but the rain across the upper part of the state was too daunting to fly through VFR so we stopped for the night. Got stopped again on Sunday as going through the storms ahead wasn't an option from the look of things. :fear:

But the show was good and not many were wearing masks or even seemed to care if anyone was or not. I did learn that I'm getting too old to sleep in a tent. OK maybe for a night but that's about my limit. :oops:

I'm still impressed with the ability of the F-22 and am waiting to see the the US Airforce Thunderbirds do an aerial demonstration with a 1/2 dozen of them. Yeah ... I'm holding my breath! :popcorn:

PS: On a sad note I seen where a twin that was taxiing through the GAC area close to us caught the tail of a Cessna with his wing tip ... :(

BJC

HBA Supporter
BJC,

Was Glasair there? If so was display typical or anything new?
Not only were they not at SnF, apparently they aren’t at work in Arlington. I’ve received no response to phone messages or to emails via their web site. Finally gave up and bought from ACS.

BJC