sun-n-Fun 2019

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events and Trip Reports' started by billyvray, Mar 5, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 9, 2019 #41

BJC

BJC

BJC

SBS:

How does the ultralight are at SnF compare to the one at Oshkosh? Except for the first two years of ultralights at Oshkosh, Paradise City (SnF ultralights) has seemed more interesting to me.

BJC

2. Apr 9, 2019 #42

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

It does seem like there's more going on at Paradise City, as everything is a little more laid back, when they get some time to fly about. The exhibits area at SnF seems to have more LSA/UL 3-axis stuff, and less focus on Powered Parachutes and the like than Osh (not that those are bad!) But then again there's a lot of flying aircraft turnout at Osh that don't get down to SnF. I suppose if I'm honest, I enjoy both about equally and usually get them confused in any case.

FWIW: The food vendor situation is pretty good at Oshkosh's UL field, while from what I've seen, SnF has some rather generic trailers with basic festival fare.

BJC likes this.
  3. Apr 9, 2019 #43

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

In the UL area:
    Plenty of Just Aircraft action. A few other personal ultralights. An Aircam.
    Nothing like 20 years ago when there'd be multiple private planes and vendor planes filling the pattern up. Ok vendor displays I think, but still seems less than it used to be.
    The homebuilt displays and camping areas where almost desolate it seemed.

4. Apr 10, 2019 #44

ScaleBirdsPaul

ScaleBirdsPaul

ScaleBirdsPaul

I spent Thursday and Friday with the ScaleBirds team and had a great time. This was my second Sun N Fun, but the first time was several years ago as a spectator. The positive feedback on the P-36 project was extremely encouraging and definitely lit a fire in me to keep things moving. It was great to meet some of the big names in the space finally, some of whom are HBA members (Billski).

Having attended my first Oshkosh last year, I was surprised that there weren't as many smaller or new projects in attendance, but I guess that is just because each show is aimed at a different crowd. Unfortunately I won't be able to make Oshkosh this year (got a little one due that week), but Sun N Fun and Oshkosh 2020 are definitely on my radar.

5. Apr 10, 2019 #45

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Sounds like Ed's beef isn't so much with using an AoA as a primary instrument as it is with the quality of existing AoA instruments?

6. Apr 11, 2019 #46

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

While the mechanical LRI (Lift Reserve Indicator) I have doesn't have anything to say ... it does give a steady readout when making an approach. When turbulence & thermals make for a bumpy approach the LRI reads rock steady. This can be seen in my "airliner type" landing approach in this video. If you run the video at HD quality on a fairly large screen you can track the movement of the LRI (top left of the panel next to the iFly GPS) and see it is very steady. (You'll need to move ahead to 8:50 in the video as I cannot make it begin at a predetermined point - like before):

Dale
    N319WF

7. Jun 10, 2019 #47

BJC

BJC

BJC

Did Just aircraft have their still under development 103 there?

Any photos of the steel tube truss fuselage?

Thanks,

BJC