Suitable airframes for industrial engines?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

I have a Super Pelican that I am re doing. I am 5’11 and yes it’s a tight fit to get in. It is my intention to rework the design at some point. Overall it is well built.
The B&S engine should fly it well. They don’t approve of their engine for use in aircraft so unfortunately there won’t be a aviation version from the factory.
Hi my name is Brian and I recently made a trip up to Ottawa Canada and purchased a wrecked Super Pelican ultralight and I will be powering it with a Generac 990 cc VTwin I saw your post that you have a Super Pelican also and would love to talk about it I live in Maine USA if you want please contact me through hear or my email address is [email protected] I am new to computers and am still learning how to post pictures from my phone to my IPAD but my wife is going to be helping soon on her next days off. Thank you for taking the time I appreciate it

Bigshu

Supporting Member
I THINK a Legal Eagle or an TEAM Airbike will work, given careful attention to the CG. Hummelbird, but probably NOT the Ultracruiser due to differences in the engine mount.
Hummel has developed a V-twin for the Ultra Cruiser. There are videos on You tube. When I spoke to Matt at Airventure about it, he was adamant that it would do fine for a guy my size, and displayed a pic of him flying one at a weight comparable to mine. 1/2 VW is the typical engine for them. Hummelbird and H5 need a full VW I believe.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
I'm sure there are also some designs in the works for these great little engines. This is one I've been slowly plugging away on. It's tab and slot composite construction. The design isn't finalized yet but you get an idea.View attachment 103823 View attachment 103824 View attachment 103825 View attachment 103826 View attachment 103827

Brandon

Ohhh no!! No and triple no! Run ! Run! Danger behind, do not look back, you know IT is there!
Another trap! And a rather good one...

But... what if I got another hangar, what if I cheat on everything and declare 48 hours in a normal day? What if I don't tell the girlfriend, she won't notice... Nobody will... what knows not, hurts not. (*)

Keep up the good work! Nice design on your baby-Rutan. Keep an eye on the cooling and the nose wheel.

Pusher aircrafts just have that little something extra... and I like pretty little things ;)

(*) It will all end in tears. It usually does, it seems the nature of things ( As said by Lord Vetinari, Ruler of Ank-Morkpor. // T. Pratchett )

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Someone told me about a German or European spec steel alloy tube that was 15% stronger than 4130, I wonder if this "Docol" is the same material.

Most likely that person was in sales and their references are in the technical departement correlated by a safety factor of 2.

Chrome-molybdeel steel (even construction steel) can be ordered to different strenghts: the composition is identical to the lower grade steel but the profiles have undergone a supplementary (cold) deformation which strengthens them. These steels break at the same point but the allowable elastic area is much larger.

Care must be taken when these tubes are welded as the heat introduced will annihilate around the weld the cold strengthing process. This is seldom a problem unless a very long weld is required. On rollcages (competition cars) such welds are sometimes found where the cage interacts with the A-pillars. See picture: if the gusset plate is welded (not stitched) the extra strength of the cold deforming process is destroyed.

Attachments

• Image 222. a pillar.jpg
    Image 222. a pillar.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0
Welcome! What have you been doing that you're new to computers?
Thanks my wife always did the computer stuff for me because I never had the time or patience. I never got into video games either and still don’t play games. As a kid I was always outside building stuff like go carts, mini bikes and anything I could mount a lawnmower engine on. Now I’m 46 and still prefer welding and building Hot Rods over typing. Unfortunately I am currently in between surgeries and using crutches and wheelchairs I tried to weld the other day and lit my Velcro leg brace on fire, not recommended, so for the next 3 months I am going to be talking about working unfortunately. So far I have already made a few contacts that I have to admit I never would have made if not for this website. I always did my car part purchases over the phone and only support companies that still offer catalogs. I guess the times are a changing , but I still love catalogs

MACOWA

Supporting Member
"Small displacement VW" to me means the 1192cc version. Think Druine Turbulent and Jodel D-9/Falconar F-9. They flew with these teeny (by modern standards) VW engines.

Druine Turbulent - Wikipedia Turbulent - Aircraft - Blueprints | Plans | Manna Aviation plans

Jodel D.9 Bébé - Wikipedia and http://www.pfa.org.uk/S Mac Website/Specification Sheets 2007/Jodel-D9.pdf

Falconar F9A - Wikipedia http://mannaaviation.com/F-9A-plans Jodel purists DO NOT consider Chris Falconar's "improvements" to be such.

R.S. Hoover ("Veeduber") flew an Aeronca C-2 with such an engine in the late 1950's. When they got rear-ended, it would knock the cast-in generator stand off, and you could get a complete engine for free. Patch the stub of the generator stand with sheet metal, rid up a magneto drive and a prop hub, and go.

Hugh CantRemberHisName flew "Tinkerbelle", a Taylor Monoplane, with a small displacement VW pretty early in their history as airplane engines in the US.

In the UK, the Currie Wot and the Luton Minor also flew reasonably well with relatively anemic VWs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currie_Wot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luton_Minor

LAA in the UK has plans on CD for the Wot and the Turbulent. LAA Heritage Plans now available on CD | Light Aircraft Association

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We KNOW from the Russian example that the Heath Parasol will fly behind a direct drive Lifan with electric start, originally designed for an inline Henderson motorcycle engine. OTHER planes of the period that flew behind that engine include the Long Longster. Other designs from the Flying and Glider Manuals worth looking at, and that have relatively complete plans in that source, include the Pietpenol Scout, and the Gere Sport.

I THINK a Legal Eagle or an TEAM Airbike will work, given careful attention to the CG. Hummelbird, but probably NOT the Ultracruiser due to differences in the engine mount.
Matt Higgins at Hummel aircraft has been using a Vanguard V twin based engine that works well in the Ultra Cruiser. It drops right into the standard U/C motor box.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Thanks my wife always did the computer stuff for me because I never had the time or patience. I never got into video games either and still don’t play games. As a kid I was always outside building stuff like go carts, mini bikes and anything I could mount a lawnmower engine on. Now I’m 46 and still prefer welding and building Hot Rods over typing. Unfortunately I am currently in between surgeries and using crutches and wheelchairs I tried to weld the other day and lit my Velcro leg brace on fire, not recommended, so for the next 3 months I am going to be talking about working unfortunately. So far I have already made a few contacts that I have to admit I never would have made if not for this website. I always did my car part purchases over the phone and only support companies that still offer catalogs. I guess the times are a changing , but I still love catalogs
Lots of catalogs still out there. I pick up a half a dozen every Airventure! They aren't like the old Montgomery Wards, or Sears, but they all have more stuff than I can afford...

Gregory Perkins

One of my favorite ideas for platform using Industrial VTwin engines derives
from the early attempts to power Primary Gliders. The advantages I see with a low motor up front driving a large prop via reduction include safety in the event of crash
with all the mass ahead of the pilot, great efficiency with the ease of experimenting with reduction ratios while using a 75 inch adj pitch 3 blade prop from Powerfin (the largest I am aware of for use with ULs). I am including the pics which provide inspiration and I favor the steel tube fuselage as used by WACO over the wooden frame versions. OR you substitute the main fusealage with a float and gain a 50 pound allowance if intentions are for legal 103 UL.

Attachments

• $ Demosille reduced .jpg
    $ Demosille reduced .jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • $ powerglidercrawford9.JPG
    $ powerglidercrawford9.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • $ powergliderproject.jpg
    $ powergliderproject.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PowergliderCrawford.jpg
    PowergliderCrawford.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0

Bigshu

Supporting Member
Matt Higgins at Hummel aircraft has been using a Vanguard V twin based engine that works well in the Ultra Cruiser. It drops right into the standard U/C motor box.
When I spoke to Matt, he said the motor mount holes for the 1/2 VW weren't the same for the V-twin. Or the cowling for the exposed heads. So, not a direct drop in to the motor box, but easy enough if you plan on the V-twin from the start.