Suggestions on an upgraded panel

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

HomeBuilt101

I currently looking at an airplane with a Dynon Skyview with auto pilot, SL15 audio panel, SL70 transponder, MX20 MFD, SL30 Nav/comm, Apollo GX60 GPS Comm.

How would one replace the GX 60 with a 430W (is it a simple slide out then slide in deal or is there a big production to make this happen?

Any suggestions on how to upgrade this panel?

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated!!!

HomeBuilt101

To add to my post starter...A picture is worth a thousand words (especially at the speed that I type) so here is a picture of the current panel.

The airplane currently has the following components:

-Dynon Skyview with the Dynon auto pilot and GPS puck 220
-SL15 audio panel
-SL70 transponder
-Apollo MX20 MFD
-SL30 Nav/comm
-Apollo GX60 GPS Comm with some kind of annunciator unit (above center stack)
-All components are connected through the Approach Fast Stack
-Blue Mountain mini EFIS (screen is a bit sick)

Two serial ports of the Dynon were taken.

As discussed, I need a solid/legal/safe IFR platform with the Dynon being central with everything “integrated” (data being pushed and pulled back and forth) and without that hokie “1980’s add a radio here and add a box there where everything is screwed up because all the boxes do not talk to each other and each needs its own database subscription”.

I use Foreflight to plan flights on my iPad and it would be ideal to have a GPS navigator that will talk back and forth with Dynon and Foreflight to where I can pre-plan the flight at home, fire up the avionics (before starting the engine) and pick up my clearance, WIFI to the Dynon, push the flight plan from Foreflight to the Dynon, leave the Foreflight humming throughout the flight as an extra screen, then when I need to deviate around weather I can “rubberband then add to route” as necessary and have that new waypoint sequence of legs be pushed into the Dynon. If I were to change the route in the Dynon (or GPS navigator) it would be cool if Foreflight were to also get that waypoint sequence data zapped into it seamlessly.

In my current cockpit environment (1990s vintage business jet), if we receive a STAR followed by an ILS approach the magic boxes will present all of the waypoints of the STAR and transition on the screens and it will also auto tune the ILS frequency.

Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated!!!

Attachments

TFF

Looks like a ok panel; why not just fly it? I assume that the GX 60 is running the MX20 and Dynon. If you want integrated, start over with a new package Dynon. It would be the best way; probably the cheapest if you want it DIY. It will be a hack and cut job, or a do over. A pro could probably do it in a weeks worth of labor. DIY, months without it being an integrated setup.

gtae07

My thoughts (disclaimer: I've worked with integrated avionics on the development side and have flown Skyview but I'm not instrument rated):

Ditch everything but the Skyview equipment, unless you want redundant nav sources (then keep the SL-30).
Get the Dynon transponder and ADS-B box (you're going to need ADSB-Out anyway, soon enough). ADSB-In rocks.
Get a 430W or later; IIRC it will duplicate the flight plan to Skyview and feed it steering commands for approaches. This will also satisfy the ADSB-Out position requirement.
If you dropped the SL-30 and want a second comm, get the Dynon one.
Skyview does talk to Foreflight; I think you need the wifi dongle for that (it's like $35).

For backup attitude, you could use the Blue Mountain if you want but it's dated and I don't know if they're supported any more. Maybe look at a GRT Mini or something?

I don't know if there are any IFR GPS boxes that will let you push flight plans to them.

My long-range plan for the RV is dual 10" Skyview screens, a 430W or equivalent, Dynon comm, autopilot and knob panels, ADSB-Out, and GRT or MGL backup attitude. I may not fit it all at once at the beginning but the wiring and space will be ready. I intend to get the instrument rating once the airplane is flying.