Suggestions for translation of French instructions to English ?

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by Gregory Perkins, May 30, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 9, 2019 #21

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

well..you don't have to translate all that, there is quite nothing more than what you can already understand with pictures.

only page 14, could be interesting ,as it's about the tail boom constrution détails.

2. Jun 9, 2019 #22

Arfang

Arfang

Arfang

I translated what I consider the most relevant parts, unfortunately the bulkhead drawings are barely readable.

Other members are more than welcome to correct my translation and add what they may find useful.

Here's the translation, I hope it helps:

2.1 - Engine

The engine is attached by 4 bolts to a 20 mm thick plywood plank. The plywood plank is attached by its four sides to the fuselage (turtledeck/pylon?) structure. The plank measurements are 20x40 cm.

2.3 - Assembly and dissassembly

A single size 10 spanner is necessary for the entire assembly

-wings have 3 attach points, 2 at the root and 1 strut
    -the tail boom slide into a hole in the aft part of the hull
    -horizontal stab: 3-point attachement, 1 pin at the leading edge and 2 size 6 nuts at the spar
    -floats: 4-points, 2 points at the wing, one pin and a bolt at the strut

3 - Building

Usual wood and fabric, all the surfaces are flat-wrapped. The materials are pine/fir, aero/marine plywood, stainless steel and aluminum AU4G or AG3. (ASTM 2017A/DIN AlCuMg1 or ASTM 5754/DIN AlMg3)

3.1 - Wing ribs

For each wing, cut two rib templates out of 4mm plywood. Take into account a 3mm recess/offset (see below). Glue both templates on a 0.30m thick foam block. Hotwire the block, then glue a 3mm thick plywood skin except for the leading edge, use 2mm of GF-epoxy instead.

Using a bandsaw, cut 10x20mm thick ribs and 2x50mm thick ribs, these ribs are the root and tip ribs. Keep the template plywood on those two ribs.

3.2 - Tail boom

It's a glass- and carbon fiber elliptical section tube. Plywood bulkheads are located inside the tail section to add rigidity and guide the elevator control linkage. The tube is made out of two parts molded using a rain gutter.

Fiber template, from the outside to the inside:

-mat 100g/sqm
    -bidirectional glass 410g/sqm
    -uni carbon, 5cm wide tape
    -2 layers of glass uni, 5cm wide tape
    -bidirectional glass 410g/sqm

Glue the bulkheads inside the first half, maintain the assembly in a jig to keep the holes aligned then glue the second half-tail boom. Make a chamfer on both sides for a scarf joint using glass fiber.

3.3 - Floats

Same method as the ribs. Cut the two sides in 3mm plywood and nail them on a foam block. Hotwire the block, remove the plywood sides and remove the foam inside the block, keep only 5cm of foam around. Then cut the foam block and glue 2 plywood bulkheads on which the 2 support struts are glued using glass fiber. Glue the 2 plywood sides to seal the float. Skin the upper and lower surface using 1mm thick plywood.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. Jun 9, 2019 #23

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

Battler Britton

ya.....nothing more..

4. Jun 10, 2019 #24

Gregory Perkins

Gregory Perkins

Gregory Perkins

I have discussed with some volunteers privately who would like to help and it seems like we could all
    collaborate one page at a time to do the translation from French to English. At least we could try it
    for a couple of pages to see if it works.
    Currently the 25 pages of instructions are 25 different JPG files .... one file for each page.

Does anyone know how to do OCR optical character recognition first to get the manual into a digital word processing format? Then we could run the page through the Microsoft Translate app which has been recommended
    to get a rough draft English copy. Then a couple of us could review the translation and repair or improve on mistakes.

I think the Microsoft Word format would be the preferred word processor format.

Checkout page one and two and three attached

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      132.7 KB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      131.3 KB
      Views:
    • 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      85 KB
      Views:
  5. Jun 10, 2019 #25

Gregory Perkins

Gregory Perkins

Gregory Perkins

Arfang, post: 476149, member: 33227" I translated what I consider the most relevant parts, unfortunately the bulkhead drawings are barely readable.

Other members are more than welcome to correct my translation and add what they may find useful.
    ///////////////////////////////////

Arfang... I can certainly understand your writing. However we must be very organized. Please tell me what page of
    instruction or drawing your translation applies to ? I have all the files in higher resolution so if any page is hard to
    read I can supply in better resolution.

I think maybe you translated a French document that I supplied in photo gallery and did not know what it was,
    but it is not the official drawings or instructions that came with plans. But it is good because the information may be supplemental to improve on completeness of original instructions and drawings. We will have to look and see if the date is later and newer than the original instructions.

Thanks much
    Scott

6. Jun 10, 2019 #26

Arfang

Arfang

Arfang

I'm glad you found a solution, unfortunately I can't help you with this OCR tool.

I translated the article that was in the photo gallery you linked first. Page 12 to 14.

7. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:14 PM #27

Urquiola

Urquiola

Urquiola

A temptative translation for: Les colles et le collage
    Glues and gluing

I’ve used either resorcinols or epoxy, I must admit I don’t know which one to recommend. Anyway, huge amounts are needed (there are lots of losses, but unfortunately, a lot remains in the airplane). Prepare at least 10 kg, and I’m not sure this will be enough.

All fittings are bolted, or riveted, but also glued to epoxy, after cleaning with acetone.

Resorcinols will be reserved for wood-wood bonds.

Most bonds are tighten with staples (pointed staples…), that of course are taken out later.

This is enough up to 3 mm plywood?, beyond, you’ll come back to the classical stick with nails.

ATTACHMENT (or tongue and groove,...): don’t forget L=10*T (length = 10 times thickness) A 1 mm plywood is never attached, but simply wrapped with a small fiberglass stripe.

GLASS FIBER: GF

This material is used very often, to build in full some parts (ribs –nose –tail tube) sometimes with carbon fiber. But it’s also very commonly used as reinforcement or bond for plywood parts.

Most commonly, GF is associated with polyester resin, more convenient to use. But when you deal with covering expanded polystyrene (EP), you ought to use epoxy, as polyester dissolves EP.

So, you’ll always have keeping a stock of several types of GF and of diverse thickness: single direction and bidirectional fabric, single and double stripes, bars. To this, unidirectional tape will be added.

There are some Free OCR software available in the web for download, but may include bugs, some hand portable page scanners offered for sale do include OCR software
    Have a good time. Salut +