• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Substituting wing fabric with plywood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fly scared!

OK, I know, why changing a true and tested configuration for an unsupported one ?
BUT, I never covered a wing with cloth, while I'm more confident to achieve a neat surface with plywood.

So, where should I start to check if the mod is possible ?
In my case (P.130UL, a shoulder braced wing) the plans call for small 1.6 mm birch strips above the ribs.
They have little structural motivation, they mostly provide a larger area to glue the Dacron cloth (1500 Kg).
Extending the band to completely cover the wing would then be geometrically straightforth.

a) would the plywood covering be too stiff for the wing (spar) to take loads properly (even if designed mainly for compression) ?
b) if so, would applying indipendent, small (rib to rib ?) panels aproximate (structurally) a fabric covering ?
c) what is the equivalent thickness for birch to get the same resistance (traction) than Dacron ?
d) how large a weight penalty may I expect ?

Needless to say, ingenious Mr. Pottier leaved us many years ago, so no way to seek advice from the designer here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back