• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Substituting round tube for airfoil tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, I just received plans for the CF-4 Four Runner and am going through the materials needed. Much to my dismay, the wing strut material costs over $50 per foot! As you may know, Aircraft Spruce lists the equivalent round tubing dimensions for tension and compression strength. What is stopping me from using the equivalent size tubing for compressive loads and just streamlining it myself? Given the cost of streamline tubing and the relative ease of streamlining a piece of round tubing why have I not seen more discussion about this? Is there a caveat I'm missing?

Back