Substitute for anodizing? Parylene

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by Hot Wings, Sep 8, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 8, 2017 #1

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Ran across this material/process and was wondering if anyone here had any practical experience with it.

http://www.paryleneengineering.com/why_use_parylene.htm

Looks like it might be an option for corrosion protection of aluminum parts that really shouldn't be anodized due to fatigue concerns?

2. Sep 8, 2017 #2

Chopndrag

Chopndrag

Chopndrag

Powder coat works great too . I've been slowly powder coating anything that I can for my plane . Luckily I have a big powder coat oven in my garage and anyone else needing something done can pm me . I did have a anodizing set up but got rid of it . It's simple to make one and pretty cheap .

3. Sep 8, 2017 #3

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

We have all the steel weldments in our gliders powder coated. But the process temperatures are high enough to affect the temper of aluminum parts, so we don't do those.

--Bob K.

Monty likes this.
  4. Sep 9, 2017 #4

Monty

Monty

Monty

What Bob said. You have to make the powder coating part of the heat treat with aluminum, otherwise you over-age the parts and they become too brittle. This is not just a surface effect. The whole part becomes brittle. Fatigue life suffers.

Be very careful with this.

powder coat is great for steel. It can work with aluminum if you are careful with the process control. Even baking paint on aluminum needs to be done carefully.

5. Sep 9, 2017 #5

Monty

Monty

Monty

I think people worry about corrosion way too much in the home-built world. All this exotic stuff....for aircraft that are babied and stored in hangars. If you live on the coast and store it on the ramp...sure. But nobody does that. Most factory aircraft had NO corrosion protection. Including the 1950 something model I flew up until recently. The inside of the wing had a nice aluminum oxide layer, which is pretty good at stopping further oxidation. Unless mice are peeing in your wings, and you live next to a salt marsh...paint will be more than sufficient.

Spend 20 years building something that will last forever, only to be too old to fly it....or build the darn thing, fly it for a couple decades and let the 4th owner worry about corrosion after you yourself are long corroded away...

Show me one person that built an airplane, only to have the thing grounded two years later because the wing spars corroded.

6. Sep 9, 2017 #6

Chopndrag

Chopndrag

Chopndrag

I'm all to familiar with powder coating aluminum. If you cook it more then once that's when the fatigue starts happening. I've done everything from small aluminum sheet metal parts and huge ones to thousands of wheels. We had to run fatigue tests monthly .

7. Sep 10, 2017 #7

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

If I read it right, parylene requires a vacuum chamber for deposition??

8. Sep 10, 2017 #8

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Yes. Not suitable for large parts - unless you have a large budget.

9. Sep 30, 2017 #9

Farfle

Farfle

Farfle

Parlyne is an amazing specialty coating for sensitive elevtronic components. It would work amazingly well, as it weighs nothing (one molecule thick flouropolymer Dimer). BUT, If you could even find a parlyne oven big enough, it would likely be hundreds of thousands of dollars to coat a plane. Small circuit boards are ~55-75 dollars in batches of hundreds.

10. Oct 2, 2017 #10

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

What is a Fatigue Test? Or rather how do you do it? Why monthly? different parts?

BoKu likes this.
  11. Oct 17, 2018 #11

Armilite

Armilite

Armilite

==========================================================

What Temps are used for Powder Coatings? Does Temps used vary be Material or color used? I've used a Product called Gun-Kote for AR15's and other Firearms for many years that protects very well. I usually preheat the Parts at 160F(worked best for me) then Spray on, then Bake at 325F for 1 hr. Comes in a Spray Can. I always wanted to try the Cerakote & DuraCoat Coatings. Appication is similar to Gun-Kote.

Cerakote
    https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

Duracoat
    http://duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

GUN-KOTE - Prepare, clean and pre-heat your part to 100°, spray on Brownells GUN-KOTE and allow the part to dry. Bake the part in an oven at 325° for one hour and you’re done.
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...s/gun-kote-oven-cure-gun-finish-prod1150.aspx

12. Oct 17, 2018 #12

lr27

lr27

lr27

Ran across some info that to get a T6 temperature, you heat the aluminum to 320 degrees F for a number of hours. So your gun coating might be problematic.

13. Jun 20, 2019 #13

Nikosal

Nikosal

Nikosal

A little late to the game, but I was browsing and thought I would reply. I have used Diamond-MT's parylene coating in the past with great success

There is a great source of information about parylene conformal coating on their website as well if your just looking for information on it and still deciding what to use.