Subaru EJ257 Dimensions

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
While the engine is a ways out, and I am trying to start my planning. Ross has me convinced that a Turbo EJ257 with SOHC heads is a viable engine. In order to plan, I have been looking for some basic dimensions and the like for this engine. Searching the web has come up empty for CAD data and 3-View drawings. Does anybody on here have the width across the heads, length of the cases, the depth of the heads, vertical dimension from crank centerline to top of case and from crank centerline to bottom of case? Heck a few photos with yardstick in each would go a long ways... CAD data would be about perfect. Once we have those, what size tubing is used for intake and exhaust plumbing?

Thanks for that. Once I have an idea of the volume occupied by the engine, I can start evaluating turbo placement, exhaust and intake routing, and cooling options. That is a different thread. Stay tuned.

Bill

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Since EJ25s circa 1996 are virtually guaranteed to have blown head gaskets, I think my approach would be to just go down to the local Pick & Pull and get a core motor for scrap value. There's no guarantee that all the interfaces are exactly the same as EJ257, but it would probably put you in the ballpark, and is probably close enough to design the major systems. If you removed all the internals (crank, rods, pistons, etc), it might be light enough to use as a mockup for when you fabricate the cowling and cooling plenums.

Thanks, Bob K.

gearhead

For EJ22, which can't be much different than EJ25 with sohc since they both fit within the 'frame rails' of the same car:

Width across engine with valve covers 29-1/4 in.
Length with crank pulley 15-3/8 in.
Crank c/l to top of crankcase at flywheel end 7-1/16 in.
Crank c/l to bottom of crankcase 4-7/8 in. + pan is 6 in. deep
Cylinder head is 7-1/2 in. intake port to exhaust port which is max. overall height

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
EJ25 non turbo in my 2000 Forester is 30"W x 24"D x 16" L. Length is from crank pulley front to bell housing and does not include flywheel (cant see it with pesky trans in the way :) ) Depth is from top of stock manifold to bottom of stock oil pan. Width is overall widest point at valve covers. Hope this helps.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Gearhead and akwrencher,

Thanks for the dimensions! That helps a bunch...

Billski

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
No problem. I really like the engine in this car. Just got it last month. Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately, for the car.....) I can't afford enough airplane to use one. Going to pick up an older ea 81 from a friend while I am down here in WA state, to take home and play with. Lot less power, but much lighter :)

rv6ejguy

I finally managed to dig up the photos of the turbo EJ257/ RV7 we did a few years back. This thing was blazing fast, 200 knots TAS without even trying at 40-45 inches and 8000 feet. This used MAC cores, 3 of them for rads, Egg drive, Garrett TO4E50/Stage 3/ .81 turbo. Randy Crothers had a similar plane using the SOHC heads, also super fast.

7809.jpg

7812.jpg

7813.jpg

7815.jpg

BobbyZ

I finally managed to dig up the photos of the turbo EJ257/ RV7 we did a few years back. This thing was blazing fast, 200 knots TAS without even trying at 40-45 inches and 8000 feet. This used MAC cores, 3 of them for rads, Egg drive, Garrett TO4E50/Stage 3/ .81 turbo. Randy Crothers had a similar plane using the SOHC heads, also super fast.

View attachment 38123

View attachment 38124

View attachment 38125

View attachment 38126
Do you happen to have a approximate weight and Hp numbers?

rv6ejguy

Do you happen to have a approximate weight and Hp numbers?
No hp numbers but to take an RV7 this fast probably requires over 225 hp at this altitude. The engine is rated at 300hp in stock form at about 60inches.

This was a well optioned aircraft, I believe close to 1200 lbs. empty.