• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Struts vs. Cables

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderchook

Hi all,

So, I got my butt into a WB Drifter to do a Low-Performance, Tailwheel endorsement and notice one thing - you cut the noise and you *literally* have to point your nose at the ground to stop your speed washing off in a split second.
This aircraft has cables everywhere.
And yes, I know that cables are *very* draggy.

But, my CFI says, in many cases, they offer better strength than struts due to being in solid tension instead of requiring both strength in tension and compression.

So, where do you draw then line? At what point do you say "A strut is better than a cable" or "A cable is more suitable than a strut."

I know that there exists aerodynamically-shaped wires. How effective are they?
To what degree do they lessen the drag of cables compare to a plain, aerodynamically-shaped strut?

Thanks.

Back