• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Structural Considerations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliDev

Hey Guys, Im doing some cad work no on my fuse for my helo and came up with a couple of questions reguarding the use of composites.
The way I see it I can do the fuse in one of three ways.
1) Monocoque
2) Chassis and panels
3) Combination of both

If I go for the monocoque constructon, what sort of crash resitiance can I expect? I know this will come down to the actual design, depemnding on load paths ect..... but how does a well designed monocoque structure compare with a metal plane? Also what about repaiars? As I understand it the strenght comes from the integrety of the structure, and as such how easy is it to make a good repair. Finally maintenace, how easy is it to monitor the airframe, generally helos have a much shorter airframe life than fixed wing, mainly due to the high vibrations of the big fan wizzing overhead.

The Chassis and panels is the one Im leaning toward right now mainly because I think that crash engineering would be easier. For example, the Apachie has two alumiium rails that run under the pilot and gunners seat, so that on heavy landing, once the gear collapses, they act like skis. It would also make the addition of a rollover bar easier, as well as mounting of engine gearbox, ect.... I also think it would make inspection of the airframe eaiser, and has the benefit if being able to have panels set for testing/repair, should the need arise.

Combining both I could see some benefits from each, although Im not really sure which parts would benefit from each.

Im sorry for the broadness of the question, and I realise theres more than one way to skin a cat, but any thoughts in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Im not really interested in doing a metal plane, I dont relly have much experience working with metal, as opposed to working with composites, plus Im pretty sure the composite frame will be lighter.

Back