strobes versus flashers

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

Log Member
... As usual it depends on what your operating limitations say. If you want to fly at night, your op lims will probably require compliance with 91.205 which says "approved" position and anticollision lights, which means the expensive TSO'd kind...
My ops limits say "...appropriately equipped..." This has been determined by EAA and FAA that this does NOT mean TSO'd lights. As long as they meet the output requirements, you're golden. Of course, it's on you to prove your one off, non TSO'd lights meet the standard if asked by the Feds.

N8053H

For landing lights we use Crazy Pilots landing lights. We only fly during day light hours but use these lights for those on the ground. We have an RC club here. They have no idea what we are doing as we fly along and it gets frustrating for them. When out and just flying along above pattern height we leave these in the wigwag position. When we go to land we go solid or constant on. These units can be seen in full sun light for about 1 mile.
These are being used on EAB's

Tony

Will Aldridge

Log Member
Just found these bulbs from iJDMtoy.com . Obviously I don't know if the green meets FAA spec (probably doesn't from what I have read) but I was wondering if this light is the kind mentioned that could be good for a position light?

I did look around on their site trying to find technical specs like lumens etc and didn't find anything.

lake_harley

I flew a Beech 18 once that had a 3 position switch for the navigation lights: OFF - STEADY - FLASH. That was how the plane was certificated and as far as I know there are still some airplanes that have that feature. In FLASH mode all they did was turn on/off about 40x per minute.
I couldn't help but think of Lucas Electronics (think British cars, motorcycles, etc.) when I read your post regarding the 3 switch positions. On a Lucas motorcycle headlight switch though, the 3 positions are OFF, DIM and FLICKER :)

Lynn

crytes

Not only can LED's be used to create brighter lights in almost any configuration you desire their much lower power draw allows you to build a much lighter electrical system if you take them into account when choosing wire and generators/alternators.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
My British car owning friends speak of "Lucas, prince of darkness." And:
Q: "Why do the British drink warm beer?"
A: "Because they have Lucas refrigerators."

Owning a succession of Fiats, though, I couldn't make too much fun of them...

Dana

TFF

You mean OFF, Short, Short. I was driving a Triumph Spitfire and a 2 min rain shower hit. Car totally shut off. Only 5 fuses in the system but all were blown. Had 2 spares, found the ignition series and drove home. I do find it funny that Rotax uses Ducati ignition boxes.

pe2aab

We installed Whelen Microburst II on the wingtips instead of the old strobes and navlights with lightbulbs and special power supplies for the strobe lights.
They work very fine.
wingtip.jpg

rv7charlie

If you're going to roll your own, don't forget that if building a strobe, you can get significantly more output than the rating from high power LEDs. The duty cycle is so short that even if you overdrive them by 100% or more, the average power would still be relatively low, because it's only on for maybe a tenth of a second (or less) every 1-2 seconds. Obviously there's a limit to the overdrive so that you don't get the voltage so high it totally fries the LED. Mfgrs like Cree often tell you how much they can be overdriven.

Charlie

removal of PS; I misread dates....

Last edited: