Straighten bent tube idea

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Built2Fly

Is your blue arrow pointing to the (center) windshield support tube or the side tube opposite the green arrow?
It is the center windshield tube that goes straight down the middle. It was bent very lightly, but it affects my windshield alignment. The entire front seems to be fairly lightly loaded.

Find a custom bicycle frame builder in your area. If it can be fixed, they will know how to do it. And they work with very thin chromoly all day long.
Some of those guys can straighten a multi-thousand dollar racing bike frame using hardwood blocks and a bench vice.
Checking out bicycle frame builders would be a great idea.

agpilot24

Excellent video, where can I find more like that? I’m a 20+ year A&P/IA who has done most of the repairs as described in AC43.13, and would like to see more videos like that. My mentors have gone to heaven before I was ready, and I would love to see more videos about how things were done “old school”. That one was pretty basic, but I’ll bet there are other videos that will teach me something new or different than I thought.

dog

16:35… ASBESTOS? 😱
asbestos is a mineral,with many different possible forms,soapstone is a type,and its almost
completely harmless,and then there is "crocodolite"which killed every single person who had the missfortune to work with it,in between are many many variants,my grandpa talked of tearing out the furnace linings at the alegany national forge,by hand up to his eyeballs,lived to a healthy 93,but not because of the asbestos or ddt,leaded
gas and paint,and all the rest,now we got,co2,micro plastic,poly florinated bla bla chemicals,and who knows what,best,then as now
not to get any on you,unless absolutely nessesary

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
If it is 4130 Chrome Moly tube as I suspect, I remind everyone that this particular steel alloy was specifically designed to be able to take abuse like bending and straightening, damage and repair, etc.

So a mild bow in a tube should be repairable using the methods involving wood blocks, rubber mallet, shop vise, giant C-clamps, etc.

Two Bolts

I learned many years ago straightening Dragster front end after a little sideways action. Took 2 blocks( 2 x 4) at each end with a 2 x 6 set in a U shape then took a Bar Clamp with protection and tighten a little at a time until we got it back straight. Should work out. very simple

Hi all:

Other AC 43-13, my favorite training source for "how they used to do it" are the Bureau of Aeronautics (Navy Dept) training booklets from 1941. Short, to the point, clear photos about all kinds of manufacturing and repairs of aircraft.

You can still buy them on eBay:

Forming by Drop Hammer #1.jpg

Forming by Drop Hammer #2.jpg
There's a whole series on manufacturing A/C parts.

I was a composite toolmaker at Bell Helicopter and I was lucky enough to help the old guys do stuff like sweeping plaster over templates to generate surfaces rapidly.

I learned so much in my 9 years there about building airplanes....

HTH

Regards,
James