• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Storing Tube and Fabric outdoors in CA desert?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayKoit

Hi all,

Newbie here, I have been considering several sheet metal designs (Zenith, Savannah) as well as tube and fabric (Skyranger, X-air H, Skyraider, Ridge Runner 3) for my first build. I was actually all about metal aircraft because of the fact they can be tied down outdoors, but many of the t&f craft are built around chromoly and aluminum tube cages, which are arguably better in a forced landing, so I expanded my horizons. Bottom line, I'm on a tight budget as it is (need to build complete for 30-35K), and tying down here in SoCal saves at least $3000 a year in hangar fees. Ideally, a quick folding trailerable aircraft that I can store offsite or in someone's hangar for cheap would be ideal (and all of my t&f options listed above do fold), but if that's not an option I just want to know:

If I get a full set of covers (like Bruce's, or equivalent) that cover every square inch of my plane from spinner to tail (including cowl plugs, tailcone, and prop), can I tie my plane down outdoors without too much degradation? Will that protect as well as covered parking or a hangar? Which fabrics would last the longest, and how long would they last if I stored outdoors under a full set of covers?

Also, can anyone tell me which fabric is used on the Skyraider/Ridge Runner? couldn't find it on the site.

I know there's a few threads out there about storing outdoors but I didn't find anything about using a full set of covers to combat the climate/weather.

I'm in the high desert of southern California, so summers are very hot and winters are cold, and we don't get much moisture at all. Would love to hear some feedback from tube and fabric aircraft owners on this. Thanks!

Back